Cigar and Pipe Smokers

Beleive this or not... I have a client who is a doctor who smokes 1 cigar (Cuban by the way) at a monthly poker game. When he bought coverage from me he insisted on putting it on the app as well as the scuba diving he does on VACATION in the islands once a year.

Did he pay a higher premium because of the risk factors? yes... Is he happy? Absolutely...

His wife looked like she could smack him one and said... He is always so damned honest!

A bit of an uncomfortable moment for all involved, but alls good... policy still in place.

Hopefully they didn't hit him with being a smoker? The Scuba diving thing is always gonna cost extra, but it is fun!

Some life carriers will allow 1 cigar per month and be consider a non smoker. Yet I guarantee you, if you smoke that little why even put it down, no one is going to believe that you only smoke one cigar a month.

I wonder if usage that occasional would even show up in a medical exam. I am an agent myself but I do enjoy a nice cigar from time to time. Usually about three to four a month. For insurance purposes they would probably consider me a smoker even though I do not consider myself a smoker.

I wonder if usage that occasional would even show up in a medical exam. I am an agent myself but I do enjoy a nice cigar from time to time. Usually about three to four a month. For insurance purposes they would probably consider me a smoker even though I do not consider myself a smoker.

It is always best to be honest, yet one doesn't inhale cigar smoke (or at least I don't!), not sure at the amount you are talking about?

It is always best to be honest, yet one doesn't inhale cigar smoke (or at least I don't!), not sure at the amount you are talking about?

That has always been my defense. I do not inhale the smoke so it is not affecting my lungs. Of course I do realize the risk of developing mouth cancer. I agree, it's best to just be honest about it and hope for a sympathetic underwriter.;)

Back