Claim DENIED ! Why Should I Pay ?

Went over irrigation system with landscaping company. an old valve connection broke - it's 25 years old !

Still arguing with insurance company, who needs to finger someone with negligence to reward the claim.

well, how about negligence to maintain an "up to date" irrigation system ?

This claim is in Nevada. I notified the neighbors insurance company that I do not accept their finding since they did no due diligence to find out exactly what caused the incident (they asked a landscaper who told them "it just broke"). I insisted that the ins company hire a neutral 3rd party adjuster to do the due diligence.; else I go to the insurance commissioner. neighbor has had a history of crappy irrigation system, with torrents flowing down the street. wonder if I can get records from the water company ? I worry because my house sits about 15 feet below neighbors house (irrigation and pool water system). crap, I don't want to have to buy flood insurace !

You need water back up damage, not flood insurance. One is a rider the other is an insurance sold by the Fed.

Went over irrigation system with landscaping company. an old valve connection broke - it's 25 years old !

Still arguing with insurance company, who needs to finger someone with negligence to reward the claim.

well, how about negligence to maintain an "up to date" irrigation system ?

I know you are upset about this, but the reality is that you chose to have a high deductible. Negligence is "the failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would in similar circumstances".

Not replacing an irrigation system (or anything else, for that matter) because it is "kind of old" is not negligence. A better example of negligence would be when a tree is obviously going to fall, and no action is taken, or, just for a little perspective, when someone chooses a $2,500 deductible instead of a $500 when they know full well they are going to have an issue if they ever have to come up with the $2,500.

Bottom line, accidents happen, and that indeed is what insurance is for. Your insurance discovered that you paid less for a $2,500 deductible, either because you were trying to be thrifty or because you had the "it won't happen to me" syndrome. It happened, your insurance looked it over, and your claim did not exceed your deductible. You played the odds, and now you have the audacity to be shocked when you discover that you chose to pay less with the full knowledge that you might have to pay more in the future, and now it has happened. That, in answer to your first question, is why you should have to pay.

To elaborate a bit further, it appears that your insurance carrier acted in good faith, acknowledged the loss, and dispatched an adjuster to determine the damages. You agreed to absorb the first $2,500 of any loss that the risk sustained.

Last edited:
Your anger shouldn't be at an insurance company, but your neighbor. It isn't the insurance company's fault that his irrigation system leaks nor is it the insurance company's fault that he purchased coverage that doesn't cover this liability.

Take your neighbor to court. Getting sued will probably encourage him to push his company to settle. Remember, just because his company believes it isn't covered by his policy doesn't relieve him of liability. It is just the insurance company saying they aren't paying.

The neighbor should be held responsible for this. It was their problem that damaged your property. Sounds like an easy case to win in small claims court.

Back