Client that calls repeatedly

Same. Except I tended to push them mainly to text. More of my seniors text than email consistently.

'Hi Daisy Mae, looks like we covered this 3 months ago, scroll up to Dec 23rd. The answer is the same. Hi to Delbert. Wino'
On the other hand, some busy agents are so busy that it is easier to get them with a text rather than an email when something important is needed.

And on the other hand, do agents sometimes overdo the small talk rather than going straight to the business at hand?

Not me. I am always succinct, straight to the point, don't beat around the bushes, use the least amount of words to efficiently get my point across, conscientious of others time, loathe long windedness, avoid repeating myself when talking or rambling on in run on sentences when I communicate by email, letter, text, Facebook, snap, insta, etc

How do you do this?

Very simple. He calls, you email him, "I received your message. I am out of the office and have a very busy week, however, I wanted to reply. Please email me and let me know specifically what your question is regarding your coverage. Thank you very much and have a great week."

You may want to include the option that he can call policyholder services. Vague, ambiguous, non-responsive, doesn't matter -- simply continue to be direct, with clarity, and pointed. Each email should specifically request that he tell you what, specifically, he was calling about. "Thanks for the reply. As you know, we've spoken numerous times over the past 30 days, as well as 60 days. We discussed and reviewed all of your questions in detail. At this point in time however, based upon my schedule, you are going to need to let me know your specific questions so that I can review your coverage, get the answers and contact you with the answers. This is the most efficient and effective way for me to find out what your specific questions are at this point, and then get you the information or answers you need. Thank you very much and please let me know your specific questions, or concerns."

If he keeps going, is non-responsive, and refuses to be specific -- and demands a call -- one more reply explaining that it is an inefficient use of time, and ineffective, to keep speaking, then spend time getting answers, and then reporting back to him. It perpetuates an endless exchange and it's what caused the result of X calls in one month, two months, or three months. At that point, you have documented that he is a difficult, if not impossible client, and you can speak with the home office about firing him. Stick to your policies. He can fire you, but you can also fire him.

How do you do this?
@PrivClientSG - did a great job answering this. There are lots of other ways to do this too.

A simple email that says - Got your voicemail - What do you need to speak about?
or
Got your voicemail...Is this urgent? Lets speak in three weeks time, but let me know what you want to talk about so I can be prepared.

Some folks have suggested Texts - and that is a big NO IMO.

Best of Luck

Stick to your policies. He can fire you, but you can also fire him.
Totally agree.

And on the other hand, do agents sometimes overdo the small talk rather than going straight to the business at hand?
Maybe some do, but that's a different problem. If an agent is a big windbag, he's probably not going to have his clients calling him a lot.

Being "folksy" with clients while discussing business isn't small talk. It's a way of communicating that doesn't put "distance" between you and the client. If you know your subject, you can do this effectively, even with a real hard ass.

Back