• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Commissions on fixed annuities

newbie2

Hi All, can someone tell me typically how much can I get in commissions for fixed annuities ?

Am thinking of selling myself a fixed annutiy seeing the spike in interest rates these days.

Thanks ...

I would recommend selling yourself an indexed annuity. More commission and more interest most of the time.
Annuities pay commission based on the length if the annuity. A 10-year pays more than a three year.
Most fixed annuities will be in the 1.5%, 2%, 3% commission range.
Indexed will be 5 to 7% range.

I would recommend selling yourself an indexed annuity. More commission and more interest most of the time.
Annuities pay commission based on the length if the annuity. A 10-year pays more than a three year.
Says one Newby to another. :laugh:

Thank you ! Do I just approach the carrier directly or are there some standard protocols agents have to follow for selling himself a fixed annuity? I guess it really depends on the insurance company?

BTW, it's actually not bad if I get 3% commission on a fixed annuity. The current rate in my area is about 3.5% for a fixed annuity, and if I get say 3% comm for selling myself a contract, then I will be earning 6.5% on the first year of the annuity, am I correct? Way better than what I can earn with a CD.

BTW, it's actually not bad if I get 3% commission on a fixed annuity. The current rate in my area is about 3.5% for a fixed annuity, and if I get say 3% comm for selling myself a contract, then I will be earning 6.5% on the first year of the annuity, am I correct? Way better than what I can earn with a CD.
but then you would have a "fixed annuity" during times of rising interest rates

I sell myself indexed annuities every year. I get the 6% commission guaranteed (I consider that a guaranteed bonus). And my last two annual statements I got 17% interest on one and over 20% on the other.

Go for LONG indexed annuities. 10-years minimum. 12 to 15 is better. Uncapped. Get as much participation rate as you can find.

I sell myself indexed annuities every year. I get the 6% commission guaranteed (I consider that a guaranteed bonus). And my last two annual statements I got 17% interest on one and over 20% on the other.

Go for LONG indexed annuities. 10-years minimum. 12 to 15 is better. Uncapped. Get as much participation rate as you can find.

I thought indexed annuities had caps on the upside like 10% has they have a floor were you can’t make less than zero ?

I thought indexed annuities had caps on the upside like 10% has they have a floor were you can’t make less than zero ?
Many do. But not all. Some have participation rates. So if you have 40% participation rate and the market goes up 10 points you get 4 points.

Participation rates are uncapped but will sometimes have a spread. A spread is a fixed % that you get none of. My annuity that did the most killer recently has a 12% spread (so I get nothing unless the annuity goes up over 12%) but I get 150% of what it does over the 12%.

Also I can only have 70% of the money in this annuity in that Interest bucket. The other 30% of the money has to be at a fixed rate of 1.5%

So this annuity will perform poorly unless the market has large movements. Unless it goes up over 12% then I prefer that it drops like a rock because I'm only getting 1.5% of 30% either way in those years.

This one locks the gain in every 2-years. I've had it 6-years. Here is how it has done:
I paid $85,000 into it 6-years ago.
at year 2 it locked in at $96,000
at year 4 it locked in at $95,112 (this was 2020 when the market tanked due to COVID.) This annuity also has a 1.5% fee to get access to the uncapped 150% allocation.
at year 6 it locked in at $148,183
I still have 6-years to go and it might do poorly the rest of the years but it can never go below $148,183 plus the 6% I made when I sold it to myself.
Well actually if it did terrible I would lose the 1.5% fee amount each year. So that means I have $13,000 in fees during the rest of the life of this annuity and I have a minimum interest of right at $4,000 in interest on the fixed portion to offset that. So I have $9,000 of my $148,183 at risk during the rest of the life of this annuity if it never performs well during the next 6-years.

So, this is not an annuity that I have ever sold to clients. It's too complicated to explain plus there is a chance they can lose money due to the fee. I keep annuity sales simple with no fees and no chance that they won't gain something every year. But for myself I like to add a little more risk of not earning more than the fee into it to get a bigger piece of the pie.

So now you know.

Last edited:
Back