• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Common Mistakes by Rookie Agents

Great point but why would anyone think a lead vendor (who doesn't sell insurance) would be able to help you close sales?

This (agents) failure directly relates to #2 of my post:

2: Lack of training

Also, a why would one expect a good mentor to mentor for free? Unless you're in an agency or job of some sort, good luck with that.

In this business it's up to the individual agent to take full responsibility for their career.

Read more: Common Mistakes by Rookie Agents - Page 6

Biggest Mistake you can make is believing that Parasol Leads, and other companies are going to help you close 40% of their leads...I talk to about one new agent per week, who believes that's all they have to do is buy leads from Parasol, or other companies...Also, don't fall for expensive Training programs..Find a good mentor, who can teach you the X and O's of this industry

I worked in a call center doing a program very similar to AHCP and I did very well.

I am torn between HCO and a local AHCP startup ran by someone from whom I could learn a lot from about employee benefits packages. He came highly recommended, however I saw they do business with IHC and IPA for certain products, in addition to the standard regional major medical carriers.

How uneasy should IPA/IHC make me? Is there an appropriate time and place for the Children of Mega? If I am wrong criticizing these companies please tell me.

-OregonDave

Last edited:
Matt, I'm curious, would you tell someone not to invest in college also? College is an expensive training program isn't it? That aside, what mentor would you recommend or how would one find them?

Keep in mind I'm assuming you found a mentor after an obviously bad experience with Parasol, which is why you're recommending someone go that route, yes?

Biggest Mistake you can make is believing that Parasol Leads, and other companies are going to help you close 40% of their leads...I talk to about one new agent per week, who believes that's all they have to do is buy leads from Parasol, or other companies...Also, don't fall for expensive Training programs..Find a good mentor, who can teach you the X and O's of this industry

Matt, I'm curious, would you tell someone not to invest in college also? College is an expensive training program isn't it?

If they're looking for a degree in English, Psychology, Political Science, or a list of other majors it is a very expensive training program for to go work at Target. ;)

Great point but why would anyone think a lead vendor (who doesn't sell insurance) would be able to help you close sales?

This (agents) failure directly relates to #2 of my post:

2: Lack of training

Also, a why would one expect a good mentor to mentor for free? Unless you're in an agency or job of some sort, good luck with that.

In this business it's up to the individual agent to take full responsibility for their career.

Read more: Common Mistakes by Rookie Agents - Page 6

These are good points Rob. #2 and #3 should be taken with a subscript however. You're never going to get perfectly trained or exactly organized. New agents need to get trained with excellent product knowledge and great sales skills but more importantly they need to go out and get bloody. Screw up. Get beat up. The sooner the learning curve goes north the sooner you become successful.

Ha ha ha ha ha, I actually lol'd thanks!

If they're looking for a degree in English, Psychology, Political Science, or a list of other majors it is a very expensive training program for to go work at Target. ;)

I agree 100% and thanks for the addition, you cannot replace the fact that there is additional learning that comes from diving in after the preparation!

These are good points Rob. #2 and #3 should be taken with a subscript however. You're never going to get perfectly trained or exactly organized. New agents need to get trained with excellent product knowledge and great sales skills but more importantly they need to go out and get bloody. Screw up. Get beat up. The sooner the learning curve goes north the sooner you become successful.

Thanks everyone for all the great info and food for thought,I didnt expect much the way this thread started out, but i appreciate the response.

What is the most common mistakes made by newbies or rookies? Maybe one that you made.

Thanks

Actually believing people, when they would say: "I have to think about it - Call me back next week" or "I have to check with my children/grandchildren/pastor etc." or "I have to check my budget" etc!...

What a bunch of baloney!

Last edited:
Agreed although this too relates to sales training, specifically on handling stalls.

Actually believing people, when they would say: "I have to think about it - Call me back next week" or "I have to check with my children/grandchildren/pastor etc." or "I have to check my budget" etc!...

What a bunch of baloney!

Agreed although this too relates to sales training, specifically on handling stalls.

I believe the best "defense is a good offense". What I mean by that is, I think it's best to handle most of the common or "true" objections in the presentation.

My theory is that if you get those kind of objections at the "close", it's usually too late to save the sale. Either I didn't do my job effectively during the presentation or they were never really true prospects.

I think there are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are so negligible, that it's not even worth the effort.

Back