Company Acting Like a TPA

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
In my quest to sell more insurance I have started to really take a look at the different options for a group to go individual.

Met with a few companies and sat through a few conferences.

This one company will set up an HRA or section 125 so the a small group can either pay the individual premium or at least get the tax break.

I thought the company was a TPA but they are not. They claim that they assist the client to administer these arrangements.

The firm tells the employer if the employee medical claims fall under the HRA a guidelines. This way the employer does not know what exactly the claim under the HRA is.

I think this company has truly found loop holes in the law to administer these arrangements .

If they were a true TPA I would feel alot better about working with them.

What do you think?

Are the advising or paying the claim? Anyone can "advise" on eligibility of claims. Quite honestly, telling someone which claims are eligible for the HRA is not very difficult.

My first thought was that Madoff wasn't a licensed stock dealer either, and to beware.

And like Lee said, it's not tough to be an adviser of eligible expenses. There are 1-page docs that can handle that.

Good feedback

This company wants $12 per employee per month to assist the group on self administering an HRA.

I think $12 is high for not being a real TPA

Thoughts?

HRA and 125 administration, like other forms of administration, is useful for a variety of reasons; day to day administration cost, HIPAA liability to employer/employee, what if the screw-up a claim, etc.

Not knowing the company and it's "services", it would be difficult to say if you are getting a good deal at $12, but my guess is it might be a little on the high side. We use a variety of vendors, all about 20-25% less, but again, I don't know what services mean.

There are a number of vendors you could use, check them out first.

Latest posts

Back