Compliance and unique laws in your state

INSUREGEEK

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ohio
After spending 5 years in my brother's body shop, I am back with an Insurance carrier that is expanding PL into new states pretty rapidly. We've been in one state since 1972. We're launching in Ohio this year and have plans to be in about 4-5 more in 2018, and in 25 states by the end of 2020.

On the issue of compliance, I have a meeting on Friday to brainstorm for the strange/odd/unique laws and requirements we need to research as we move forward. Things like:

Mine Subsidence and other coverages as a required offering
Total losses being valued on "greater of" rather than "lesser of" terms
Some states don't allow animal exclusions or sublimits
Contributory negligence statutes where even 1% liability means you pay half, if not all of a claim

Please tell me, what's one detail about your state's coverage that you know or think requires special forms or claims handling in your state.

Ready...Set....Go!!

In 1986, American Family expanded to AZ. Word was, they had no clue that AZ was a non-cancellation state for Auto insurance. After 60 days, very limited options to get off a risk. Someone didn't the laws!

Dave

LOL! This is why I am asking.

I can promise you the cancellation and nonrenewal terms of states are being well vetted by THS. Unlike a carrier I once worked for that couldn't get out of MI, or raise their rates....ever!

Your company needs an insurance lawyer and an insurance actuary.
:yes:
Or better ones... That said... Colorado, nothing outside of the box... but I would suggest testing the waters in Western Colorado before the Eastern part... Its night and day when it comes to profitability. Let your guys know we are happy to run comparisons for you when you get closer to us out West here.

Your company needs an insurance lawyer and an insurance actuary.
:yes:

We have both, and very good ones, TYVM. :rolleyes:

Foolish of me I suppose to think I would get some interesting items to liven up a compliance meeting.

Badtrout, I will definitely pass your info along to the team.

Back