Compliant Marketing During OEP ‘19?

AcemanX007

Expert
Does anyone have insight into what marketing would be permissible during OEP? The verbiage sounds fairly strong that there is to be no targeting or sending unsolicited materials to Medicare Advantage members during that time. My concerns are that those enrolled too early during AEP would be picked off by other agents during OEP, as well as lead generation Jan-March.

Thoughts?

Does anyone have insight into what marketing would be permissible during OEP? The verbiage sounds fairly strong that there is to be no targeting or sending unsolicited materials to Medicare Advantage members during that time. My concerns are that those enrolled too early during AEP would be picked off by other agents during OEP, as well as lead generation Jan-March.

Thoughts?

I hear wearing a pin that says "ask me about Medicare!" is effective.

(Sorry, inside forum joke)

I've actually seen those!

I could see agents laying low during AEP and cleaning up on the one time OEP flip. Even if we find out they changed, they've already expended their enrollment and can't be moved back.

Haven’t done the AHIP yet but I can’t imagine that you can’t send mail to clients. Are you sure it’s not unsolicited phone calls or door knocks?

It reads:

Marketing representatives must NOT:
▪ Knowingly target or send unsolicited marketing materials to any
Medicare Advantage enrollee during the Open Enrollment Period.

(See slide)

Attachments

• 83C66AEB-7424-4F1A-B9D8-BF71D17EEACC.png
    83C66AEB-7424-4F1A-B9D8-BF71D17EEACC.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 25
It reads:

(See slide)

Oh I forgot about the new OEP next year. Hopefully it’s right meaning they can’t get marketing materials during OEP but aep still looks fair game. I hope it means no mail at all during OEP

This is confusing... I saw it on AHIP as well.

It reads:

(See slide)

Does AHIP consider AEP and OEP the same thing or separate? Isn't OEP another term for AEP?

As Chazm wrote...
Oh I forgot about the new OEP next year. Hopefully it’s right meaning they can’t get marketing materials during OEP but aep still looks fair game. I hope it means no mail at all during OEP

However, AHIP is not clear about OEP being different from AEP.

So...
You can't send mail or anything to people during AEP, with a message about changing MAPD plans, etc. That wouldn't make sense.

It must be just for the OEP in January 2019.

Can anyone clarify.

This is confusing... I saw it on AHIP as well.

Does AHIP consider AEP and OEP the same thing or separate? Isn't OEP another term for AEP?

As Chazm wrote...

However, AHIP is not clear about OEP being different from AEP.

So...
You can't send mail or anything to people during AEP, with a message about changing MAPD plans, etc. That wouldn't make sense.

It must be just for the OEP in January 2019.

Can anyone clarify.

If you read the source material (CMS "Medicare Communications and Marketing Guidelines), Section 40.7 "Prohibition of Open Enrollment Period Marketing", it's clear that the OEP referred to is the new one from 1/1 to 3/31. Everyone really should stop calling AEP OEP.

Back