Concerning Scope of Appointment

So I’m just leaving a client and I wasn’t able to help her today with her MAPD. She was in a good plan already. But she wants me to contact her next AEP. Do I have to mail her something to call me or would a permission to Contact form work?

Great info. Another question. If I do a MAPD this late in the month for OEP, do I still use an effective date of 02-01-2020

If you're wanting to write an MAPD or PDP during the MA-OEP for a 3/1/20 start date, the application has to be written in February. Just want to clarify that point. And really, you shouldn't be holding onto PDP apps unless you're fudging the dates, but either way that's a good way to get smacked upside the head with compliance.

I guess when I said don't send in the PDP application I meant don't even take the application until after 2/1 for a 3/1 eff date. You are correct you can't hold a PDP application for more than like 48 hours after signature date.

As far as contacting her next AEP put on your calendar to call her or send her whatever correspondence you send out for AEP and get a SOA when you meet with her. She asked you to contact her so you are fine.

Newbie question - if I complete (and get signature on) the SOA (which shows the meeting date) and the meeting is moved or there needs to be follow up meeting(s) on same topic, do I need a NEW SOA for subsequent meeting on same topic with same beneficiary? Or once I have the SOA, that's good for how long in working with same beneficiary on same meeting topic? Thanks much -

Newbie question - if I complete (and get signature on) the SOA (which shows the meeting date) and the meeting is moved or there needs to be follow up meeting(s) on same topic, do I need a NEW SOA for subsequent meeting on same topic with same beneficiary? Or once I have the SOA, that's good for how long in working with same beneficiary on same meeting topic? Thanks much -

The only thing I've ever been able to find is where CMS says if they want to talk about something that is not already documented on the present SOA, you have to get a new one signed. Then, of course, you must keep it for 10 years. Other than that, I can't find one thing saying how long it is actually good for.

However, if you are really asking about "Permission to Contact", then that's a horse of a different color. I can't find anything definitive on this either. Some say it ends as soon as you contact the client, some say it's 90 days, some say it never expires. So, who really knows? I personally lean towards the 90 day thing though.

The only thing I've ever been able to find is where CMS says if they want to talk about something that is not already documented on the present SOA, you have to get a new one signed. Then, of course, you must keep it for 10 years. Other than that, I can't find one thing saying how long it is actually good for.

However, if you are really asking about "Permission to Contact", then that's a horse of a different color. I can't find anything definitive on this either. Some say it ends as soon as you contact the client, some say it's 90 days, some say it never expires. So, who really knows? I personally lean towards the 90 day thing though.
Todd, I just read somewhere that PTC expires 9 months if SOA is for MA or PDP. I don't know how reliable the source, but it cited CMS' Medicare Communications and Marketing Guidelines (MCMG). Not my area of expertise, however.
Permission to Contact - Medicare - When Does PTC Expire?

I see a couple of things in there about Permission to Contact.

Under "Marketing Through Unsolicited Contacts", one paragraph says this:
Note: Agents/brokers who have a pre-scheduled appointment with a potential enrollee who is a “no-show” may leave information at that potential enrollee’s residence. If a potential enrollee provides permission to be contacted, the contact must be event- specific, and may not be treated as open-ended permission for future contacts.

Under "Marketing through Telephonic Contact" is says this:
Call individuals who have given permission for a plan or sales agent to contact them (examples of permission include filling out a business reply card, emailing the Plan/Part D sponsor requesting a return call, or asking a customer service representative to have an agent contact them); and, Note: Permission applies only to the entity from which the individual requested contact and for the duration and topic of that transaction.

As for the other link you provided....I sure would like to know where they came up with your PTC for MA is 9 months and PTC for Med Supps is 90 days. They keep mentioning the MCMG, but it is nowhere in there.

This past year I sent out an email to all of my clients in September (as I do every year) reminding them that AEP is right around the corner. I also provided a link for them to go ahead and complete the SOA electronically. At some point during AEP I got an email from my FMO that this wasn't compliant (according to CMS guidelines) and that they should have signed them on or after October 1st. I have no idea if this was accurate or not as I didn't have time investigate.

I'll trust that my FMO knows what they're talking about, but I can't really find anything that specifies this. Granted, I haven't looked very hard. I do know this though, it seems to me that every carrier and FMO can interpret these rules differently which can make it difficult to know who is correct. Ideally, you should document as much as possible to CYA.

Thanks guys. It's clear as mud but you definitely gave me some perspective around it, and I appreciate the background and insight.

Back