Creating a "virtual office" forum

G

Had an idea tonight.

I was thinking about the atmosphere of an office and the benefits of having an agency that I go to every day with other agents around to talk to and "compete" with. When I started in this business I wanted to escape the office scene...but sometimes I find myself missing it now. I don't really want to open an agency but sometimes it would be nice to have someone kick me in the rear for playing Nascar on my Xbox for two hours instead of making telemarketing calls. So I thought maybe we could start a separate forum on the site for that.

This forum would be your very own "virtual office" where you report to daily and tell everyone what your goals are for the day or week or month and where, at the end of the day, you are accountable for your time. How many calls did you make today? How many appts did you set? What was your funniest case today? Whatever...stupid stuff that i sometimes miss about being in an office.

Haven't really thought about how to structure it, but wanted to toss the idea for either brainstorming or a good laugh. It would have to be something where you are signed up for it and there is something like a "chalkboard" (you know the ones, you Ex-UA, Ex-NAA, and Ex-MEGA people) where your name is written and your monthly, weekly, and daily stats are visible to all (for accountability and competition). Of course, many people would hate this, but I think for many of us this would be a great way to improve our productivity.

We could also do weekly or monthly training sessions using something like vyew or gotomeeting.com where we education one another on new stuff pertinent to our industry.

This could even be fee-based to offset administrative costs...a portion of those fees could go towards awards for top cold caller or top deal closer or whatever.

What U think?

Each subject title could be that days date...you log on and report to work...time and all. I think this would be a great way to track results and motivate one another!

Had an idea tonight.

I was thinking about the atmosphere of an office and the benefits of having an agency that I go to every day with other agents around to talk to and "compete" with. When I started in this business I wanted to escape the office scene...but sometimes I find myself missing it now. I don't really want to open an agency but sometimes it would be nice to have someone kick me in the rear for playing Nascar on my Xbox for two hours instead of making telemarketing calls. So I thought maybe we could start a separate forum on the site for that.

This forum would be your very own "virtual office" where you report to daily and tell everyone what your goals are for the day or week or month and where, at the end of the day, you are accountable for your time. How many calls did you make today? How many appts did you set? What was your funniest case today? Whatever...stupid stuff that i sometimes miss about being in an office.

Haven't really thought about how to structure it, but wanted to toss the idea for either brainstorming or a good laugh. It would have to be something where you are signed up for it and there is something like a "chalkboard" (you know the ones, you Ex-UA, Ex-NAA, and Ex-MEGA people) where your name is written and your monthly, weekly, and daily stats are visible to all (for accountability and competition). Of course, many people would hate this, but I think for many of us this would be a great way to improve our productivity.

We could also do weekly or monthly training sessions using something like vyew or gotomeeting.com where we education one another on new stuff pertinent to our industry.

This could even be fee-based to offset administrative costs...a portion of those fees could go towards awards for top cold caller or top deal closer or whatever.

What U think?

Each subject title could be that days date...you log on and report to work...time and all. I think this would be a great way to track results and motivate one another!

I think it is a good idea. I started a blog to accomplish that goal, as well as a few others. I've already made up my mind and have decided that I'm going to rent an office in the next 6 months. I do miss the competitive spirit of talking with other agents face to face.

I have been in the "office" atmosphere since 1980. And I love it. 700 employees in our building, although only 15 of us do this type of work.

Some of the highlights:

Daily nerf basketball

Sharing sales stories

Lunch everyday with comrades in the building restaurant every day

A lot of referrals from the other 685 employees

And of course...hoping that nobody in the building is a victim of one of the
three "Ds." (Death, Divorce, or Dismemberment).

It's what I'm doing next year. I'm done with home - it's totally ineffective to me and boring. Right now my wife and son are home so at least I have human contact. That ends of a few weeks - my son's off to kindergarten all day and my wife it getting a job. By Feb or March of next year I'm renting office place and hiring a few agents on a draw system.

I've had the idea for years to create an independent health insurance agent "club." I've wanted to create a website that gives the scoop using both text and video on the ABC's of everything - the plans, companies, commission structures, etc...

It would also be interactive. There would be a fee to join, maybe $300 or so but there would also be contests and bonuses. The problem is it would be very daunting to create that site with all the information. Running it would take time I don't currently have - especially with my upcoming plans.

Ok let's brainstorm some ideas then...

What would you like it to consist of?

We should keep it simple first and see how we like it. Here are the basics I would like to see...feel free to add to it or omit.
  1. We can start the first one for individual health agents. Others can start more if this one gets too crowded.
  2. 20-50? agent per office maximum.
  3. You report daily M-F. If you consistently fail to report, you get fired.
  4. Make it a password protected office to avoid first time visitors posting junk. Have something like a 50 post minimum to join an office.
  5. At the beginning of each week you list your goals
  6. At the end of each day you account for your time that day
  7. At the end of each week you list your numbers: how many calls? how many appts? how many apps? What did you do well? What did you flop?
  8. We have a running "top producer"...make it a sticky. The top producer based on AV for the month gets their name in lights.

Count me in for this as well. Anything to help motivate me is a very good thing!

Back