• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Data List Target Help

I really need some help. I decided to stop buying leads and prospect for my own business. I got the dialer and a list; 30-45 with kids single and married. I have had absolutely no progress. I have used the list for about a month about and hour a day. I am beginning to think my target is wrong.

The companies I selling for are CoventryOne (health), MOO (Life), American General (accident), Foresters (fe); Back up's for life are Aviva and American Amicable.

I honestly have no clue as to what my target market should be. Any help in this area would be great or maybe some ideas as to what the different target markets are.

That's not a great market. You should add homeowners to the criteria.

You might also want to go ahead and start targeting FE.

More importantly, your approach is probably wrong. What type of a script are you using?

That's not a great market. You should add homeowners to the criteria.

You might also want to go ahead and start targeting FE.

More importantly, your approach is probably wrong. What type of a script are you using?

No script but I say something along the lines of:

"Hi may I speak with (name)

Hi (name) my name is Ivan, I am an insurance agent in town and the reason I am calling is to see if you would be interested in meeting with me in regards to your life and health insurance."

Now that I am reading it, I can tell it sucks :-/. So is it a mixture of bad demographics and pathetic approach?

Just a guess, but I bet they're saying:

"No, I'm not interested" about 95% of the time and hanging up.

There are a ton of cold calling script threads on here, I'd suggest looking up the ones Frank is all over, and changing your target market some. If you're new, I'd suggest calling 64-78 year olds about medicare, and cross selling Final expense.

Oh, and don't ever say the word interested in your script. They repeat it back to you.

You say: interested They say: not interested.

Use your full name, say local, say review, mention saving money.

A goodish opening (in comparison) would be:

Hi, my name is Ivan (____), I'm a local insurance agent here in ______ (town name) and I wanted to see if I could save you some money on your (medicare. life, medical, whatever) insurance, can you recall who you currently have it with?

From there I'd follow up with:
how much are you paying?
what type of coverage do you have?

Then I'd say thanks for the information, I think I can save you quite a bit of money (if I think I can), then offer to send them a quote or quote them right then, depending on how the conversation was going.

You'd have a higher success rate calling them and saying anything other than "are you interested" you could get more business saying "You wanna buy some insurance today, dontya!"

Hi (name) my name is Ivan, I am an insurance agent in town and the reason I am calling is to see if you would be interested in meeting with me in regards to your life and health insurance."

Now that I am reading it, I can tell it sucks :-/. So is it a mixture of bad demographics and pathetic approach?

One cannot just pick up the phone and wing it. Using the phone is a learned, well practiced art. It does not just come naturally.

Among the things that make a phone contact successful are knowing how to maintain control of the call to prevent them from taking control by saying "I'm not interested". Using specific words to elicit the response you want is also very important.

I sell Med Supps and only target people between 67 and 78. It is a much more productive group to target than just going after those who are turning 65. At least that is what I have discovered.

Never start the call by asking them a question you don't already know the answer to. I believe that is what ksigmtsu was saying.

It's easier if you use a telemarketer for that age group however, you are her should blurt out terms like "life" or "health" and get off of the phone quickly if there's no interest. They are busy with children and dogs, and birthday parties etc and have a limited attention span.

They are only half paying attention, but if you snag a few, you'll be glad that you did. Most of their friends and family are still living, and they will be a great source of referrals.

The 65-80 group is fairly easy, but let's face it, how long are they going to be your clients? You can build a great deal of loyalty among people your own age.

Your target is may be overly broad, and your message too generic. If you narrow down your target you can simultaneously focus your message to the narrow target.

For example if you target were married couples with children age under 3 you could call about ways you have helped other couples save for college while simultaneously providing for the financial security of the child and the wife. Ask for the wife by name - she will be the most motivated.

The more focused your target, the more specific your message can be.

After everyone has beat you up for this script, I'm going to tell you one thing. You know exactly what you got when someone says yes. They are definitely interested in discussing insurance. Now I said discuss, that still doesn't mean they are buying.

I'd still change the language some if it was me, but you can run with it as long as you realize you probably won't set tons of appointments with it.

I do cold-walking, and my approach is similiar, and yet its worlds apart.

Back