Diabetic Test Supplies

TDS551

Expert
I've run into this a few times now.

PArt B covers strips, 100 for non insulin types, and 300 per month for insulin dependent diabetics. I go that part.

But..I have someone who is on lantus, Novolog, metformin and tests 4 times a day. She has a plan F, )and LIS) and gets a bill for test strips. I read up, and it seems the doctor can order more if its medically necessary.

Obviously she needs to go back to her doctor, but does anyone have anything more to add? Should they mail order them? Can LIS help?

Seems to come up a lot with my clients, and no clear answer.

I've run into this a few times now.

PArt B covers strips, 100 for non insulin types, and 300 per month for insulin dependent diabetics. I go that part.

But..I have someone who is on lantus, Novolog, metformin and tests 4 times a day. She has a plan F, )and LIS) and gets a bill for test strips. I read up, and it seems the doctor can order more if its medically necessary.

Obviously she needs to go back to her doctor, but does anyone have anything more to add? Should they mail order them? Can LIS help?

Seems to come up a lot with my clients, and no clear answer.

If it's a part b item, she should probably have her doctor request an exception from medicare for extra strips. I have no idea how they calculate what a reasonable number of strips would be, but if she needs more, that's the route to go.

Yes I tell them to talk to their doctors, but I'm still unsure how the process unfolds. Do they request reimbursement from medicare?

The doctor will have to write an appeal to Medicare for larger quantities of supplies based on her diagnosis. If she has a reason to be testing more than 3 times a day (uncontrolled diabetes, insulin pump, comorbid conditions, etc...) they are pretty good about allowing the extra supplies.

Back