• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Disability Ins. for Construction / Roof Salesmen

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
I haven't done anything in the DI realm yet. I looked @ one carrier, and they said that someone who has an occupation involving roofs would be un-insurable.

I have a group of roofers who want to get something to protect their paycheck. And I don't blame them!

What carrier would you recommend for me to look in to? These guys inspect & sell new roofs - they don't necessarily do the installation per se (subs do that), but I think an ins. co may not necessarily care. Their total time on a roof in a given week is less than 4 hrs. The bulk of their time is on the ground.

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is blue collar. Illinois Mutual or Assurity, maybe MOOs new product. Even then, not much chance, its just too risky. You might have to go with an accident and CI policy.

How many people are in the group? W2 employees or all 1099 contractors?

7 people in their Ohio office. They probably have about 30 subcontractors who actually put the roofs on, but the sales guys were the one's looking.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Your best bet is blue collar. Illinois Mutual or Assurity, maybe MOOs new product. Even then, not much chance, its just too risky. You might have to go with an accident and CI policy.

Thanks - I'll look in to all three. I appreciate the direction!

Last edited:
They are probably going to be the lowest occupation class with any company because of the 4 hours/week on roofs. Assurity would have them at the 1A occ class. 5 year max benefit, $6k/mo max benefit, some rider limitations. Probably their best bet....something is better than nothing.

Back