Discount Plan Sold to Woman with Congestive Heart Failure

GI and affordable are mutually exclusive terms.

KY & NH had GI but then in a moment of lucidity decided to repeal it. KY probably shouldn't count because they repealed their GI provision in a year or less.

It took the folks in NH a bit longer, something like 8 years before they finally got the picture.

Yes NH I'm not sure GI is the right term but in NH the carrier has to take you but can rate up by 50% the last time I checked now that is not perfect but even with a 50% rate up from NH it is still half the cost of similar coverage in Maine...Oh and they actaully have some carriers offering coverage.

This is a tough one...on the one hand the buyer must beware but I agree all the disclosures and forms the client must sign does give them a false sense of security and a statement that this coverage is just like you have now is defiantly an ommission of the differences between her true coverage and the crappy plan she bought but she will have signed something that protects the company and will make any lawsuit un-winable....The sad part is this type of crap plans leads people to think be need obamacare.

There is one more option that probably is not that realistic to her and that would be to move to a place like Maine...The policy would be GI the carrier would be able to deny claims for 1 year based on the pre-existing condition however after the one year she would be fully covered by Anthem up here.

----------------------

This just in.

Mass exodus of gimps to Bangor.

Stephen King has decided to reside in Sarasota 24/7 – 365.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry Somarco but that Healthy Access plan From Time looks scarier to me than AIM or Homland. Just because it is put out by Assurant does not give it any better credibility in my eyes.

I have about 10 similar cases on Homeland's new SURECARE plan underwritten by Markel. In every case the client has been as happy as one can be on a MINI-MED. Markel and Homeland pay their claims and it is on the MULTIPLAN.COM PPO network.

You should check it out. Contact me if you want my contact at Homeland.

http://www.homeland4one.com/index.cfm?id=28950
Homeland Surecare Link Above:

I used to offer Homeland, would never touch AIM. Core Health and Healthy Access are better plans. Has nothing to do with Assurant who has virtually no credibility in my mind.

I later found out more about the Healthy Access and she won't qualify. Core Health is her best shot.

She did drop the junk plan in favor of Careington.

In situations like this I have put people in touch with hospitals that have health plans for the un insured. They have to have all of their care performed at that hospital.
Is it the best hospital in area.......No but it will cover most things. Now they don't pay commission to brokers but thats OK.

Vernon Adams, a professor of mine at Devry, told me something that has rung true all these many years:

Empathy is better than Sympathy. With empathy, you reach your hand out to pull someone up. With sympathy, you offer your hand to be dragged down with them.

While I empathize with this ladies plight, I don't sympathize. When you buy a home, a car, a HDTV, you do research. You call and find out about it. Call references, check Consumer Reports. Check with the Regulating agencies.

I have never ever got flustered when someone told me they want to check it out to pass the smell test. 8 out of 10 times, when I hear that, and let them research, they call back with the business. Which turns into repeat business.

That's why, when I do present a plan, or proposal, I include ratings, so they can see for themselves. While I continue to tell them that I am comfortable with them doing their own research, more times than not, they don't, and they know I care about them.

If this agent was a "trusted adviser", I would question her standards when selecting other "trusted advisers".

I know it sounds harsh, but people have to be responsible for their decisions. Some are more grave than others. If her health is going to cost that much, she needs to swallow her ego and pride, and find a job, for a little less money, with a company that will offer benefits.

Mini Med Plans, whether they are from Assurant, AIM, Homeland, or anyone else, are exactly what they are MINI MED, not major medical.

On Assurant's products, it clearly states, in three places in the brochure, that pre-ex is not covered for at least 12 months.

Health Insurance is not a right.

Back