Do You Know a Medical Biller for a Large Doctor Group?

It would be interesting and valuable to find out how often different insurance companies deny claims. I don't mean denials that result from clerical errors and whatnot, that get resolved and approved. I mean denials where the insurer sticks to its guns and resists payment, and therefore causes trouble for the patient.

An insurer that often denies claims might be a bad choice for us to recommend or use for our own personal insurance. What percent of claims get persistently denied by each company?

Maybe the perfect person to ask about this would be an employee at a medical billing office. More precisely, a billing office for a diverse and large group consisting of various kinds of doctors, to get representative average results.

The employee must be willing to ask the right persons in their office about running the numbers somehow. I'm hoping the billing staff would be curious about this, so they'd be interested and willing to check it out.

This is a shot in the dark, but: Do any of you know such an employee? Are you willing to ask?

Thank you all for reading this!

The local Department of Insurance in your state will have some of this information. But of course the largest insurers that sell the most policies will have the largest number of complaints.
Those that have the least amount of complaints are probably going away being gobbled up by a competitor.

The local Department of Insurance in your state will have some of this information. But of course the largest insurers that sell the most policies will have the largest number of complaints.
Those that have the least amount of complaints are probably going away being gobbled up by a competitor.

As seen in the California Insurance Commissioner's Consumer Complaint Study (these forums refuse to let me post the URL) the data have been analyzed for certain kinds of insurance, but health is not one of them.

And to answer somarco, I'm not doing a thesis. I just really want to know all this for my own use.

Back