Door Knocking Today.

All of my business meetings are being done via web meeting -- and allied professionals attend as well. Since late March I've placed business via electronic-placement/delivery, as well as a few cases emailing documentation/signature requirements (if the client can print documents). More often than emailing documentation, I place business via overnight delivery. I'll review policies/coverage via a web meeting, and then place the business.

I've attended two face-to-face meetings since April 1, and they were both to sign legal documents as that was required in NJ (until Gov. Murphy updated the law/requirements). Whatever legal documents could be signed via the web (with witnessing), or via overnight mail, that's been the first choice/recommendation. I've seen some strange document execution procedures and meetings, I'll tell you that! LOL.
That answers my question.. Did you wear a mask in those two meetings?

I will say one thing about the masks and surgical garb they wearing in the hospital have destroyed one of the few enjoyment of being hospitalized.

That answers my question.. Did you wear a mask in those two meetings?

I will say one thing about the masks and surgical garb they wearing in the hospital have destroyed one of the few enjoyment of being hospitalized.

I did, and people sat very far apart, in a large conference room, with a long table. Like I said, some strange meetings, LOL. Early on during the pandemic, I've seen documents placed/taken in and out of plastic bags (when people were wearing gloves), slid down a table, left at a front door, on the windshield of a car, and so on.

self-appointed BB police

LOL! None of the kids on here are gonna know what that is! You must be an old fart like me!;)

Just a heads up. You’re in the Final Expense forum. It’s a little wilder in here than some of the other forums. I guess since a lot of us work in some rougher areas (the only “boardroom“ I’m likely to see is a woodshed where the guy keeps his boards!), it goes with the territory. We can be a little curt sometimes, but don’t let it bother you. We mostly mean well. @Rearden happens to have one of the best reputations in the Final Expense industry for being fair, honest, ethical and just generally a good guy.

Last edited:
Hey WMSG, sorry if I came off like an ass. Certainly wasn't my intention.

My point is that your argument is weak and based on presuppositions anyone can make at anytime regardless of whether it's covid-19, Christmas, etc.

And, respectfully, yes, I do think a perspective based on first-hand experience versus your third-party perception is more valuable to the readers who are considering this business model of selling final expense door to door.

Even if the first-hand experience is, "door knocking has been really tough on me since covid-19 has hit," I think that's a more valuable perspective than someone's ideas on what they think it should be without relevant experience.

Further, sure. People are on edge, agitated, etc. But suggesting those are reasons not do door knock is foolish.

Any salesman knows he'll run into adversity on a daily basis in various forms as you've suggested. However, successful salesmen look for reasons why to face the adversity as opposed to running away from it. And that reason is to help the minority of people out who are open minded to receiving us and getting the coverage their family needs.

Additionally, there are ways to sell and comply with social distance requirements. Good salespeople creatively think of ways to solve problems so they can continue their job as opposed to quitting altogether because of a little resistance.

Lastly, I'd argue for us at least, door knocking and selling is even more important. Seniors are commonly shut ins and rarely got out prior to covid-19. I'd argue many of them are happy to see a new face and have a nice conversation (while getting the coverage they desperately need).

Feel free to reply. In no way am I trying to police your opinion.

First, what I said was "From personal experience, I know nothing about door-knocking as I've never done it." -- not unknown times, but door-knocking. Second, I was speaking to the current landscape of the world around us -- and I guess from your tone you feel, either, your opinion is more valid and important than mine, or you simply want to make someone else out to be wrong, or you are just being critical. So be it. I always felt like a forum such as this was to share insight, perspective, experience, and yes, opinion, and more. "Jumping" and criticizing someone else's opinion -- even if you disagree with it -- is not necessary, and can be done in a respectful, polite and classy way.

That being the case, there are numerous states where soliciting is now prohibited. In addition, some people are being responsible and prudent. Others are being irresponsible and outright foolish. The former are concerned about the impact the latter may have. The latter are critical and in opposition of the former. People are on edge. People are agitated. If you were serious about the young agent in Indiana -- thank you, you made my point. If you weren't serious, you made my point.

From what I've seen just here in the NJ and NY area, and from friends, family, and clients around the country -- I feel that with people being in a variety of mental places, frame of mind, and so on, knocking on a door is not a great idea given the current landscape.

Just my opinion. I am sure the appointed or self-appointed BB police will inform me when it's no longer appropriate to voice an opinion. All the best everyone.

My point is that your argument is weak and based on presuppositions anyone can make at anytime regardless of whether it's covid-19, Christmas, etc.

And, respectfully, yes, I do think a perspective based on first-hand experience versus your third-party perception is more valuable to the readers who are considering this business model of selling final expense door to door.

Even if the first-hand experience is, "door knocking has been really tough on me since covid-19 has hit," I think that's a more valuable perspective than someone's ideas on what they think it should be without relevant experience.

Further, sure. People are on edge, agitated, etc. But suggesting those are reasons not do door knock is foolish.

Any salesman knows he'll run into adversity on a daily basis in various forms as you've suggested. However, successful salesmen look for reasons why to face the adversity as opposed to running away from it. And that reason is to help the minority of people out who are open minded to receiving us and getting the coverage their family needs.

Additionally, there are ways to sell and comply with social distance requirements. Good salespeople creatively think of ways to solve problems so they can continue their job as opposed to quitting altogether because of a little resistance.

Lastly, I'd argue for us at least, door knocking and selling is even more important. Seniors are commonly shut ins and rarely got out prior to covid-19. I'd argue many of them are happy to see a new face and have a nice conversation (while getting the coverage they desperately need).

David, I agree with almost everything you say except the implication that the majority if seniors are shut ins. I got into the med supp arena in 75 because I wanted a "daytime" market. In those days, for the most part that was true. But as time passed, seniors became more and more mobile. Where they used to be home except for the occasional trip to the Dr or grocery, today the go out to eat, go to the gym, senior center activities, almost daily trips to the convenience store and if they have a medical issue or two, they visit several different Drs on a regular basis.it seems many are on the Gi more than when they worked... as the old boy said, "I need to go back to work to get some rest.".

Good points. If I didn’t have a steady flow of organic leads coming in, I promise I’d do whatever it takes to keep the business flowing.

I’ve had to alter my course several times throughout my career. Personal circumstances, changes in law, company decisions, and lately a pandemic, have all necessitated changes to my business model and practices. For example, when we were under lockdown orders earlier this year, I switched to doing almost everything by phone. It was inconvenient, to say the least. But I can’t afford to sit idle, so I picked up the phone and “smiled and dialed”.

The old adage “When the going gets tough, the tough get going” comes to mind. I don’t know how tough I am, but I do like to eat! My personal adage is, “Necessity is a mother!”;) If that means I need to knock every door on the street with my mask on, then that’s what I do. If that’s illegal, as it apparently is in some locations, then we find another way.

Last edited:
David, I agree with almost everything you say except the implication that the majority if seniors are shut ins. I got into the med supp arena in 75 because I wanted a "daytime" market. In those days, for the most part that was true. But as time passed, seniors became more and more mobile. Where they used to be home except for the occasional trip to the Dr or grocery, today the go out to eat, go to the gym, senior center activities, almost daily trips to the convenience store and if they have a medical issue or two, they visit several different Drs on a regular basis.it seems many are on the Gi more than when they worked... as the old boy said, "I need to go back to work to get some rest.".

Perhaps, as in other things, there are sub groups, rather than a "one overall categorization". Things like eating out, daily trips to the convenience store, gym memberships and transportation, etc. come somewhere between difficult and not possible if Social Security becomes your only income.

But as time passed, seniors became more and more mobile. Where they used to be home except for the occasional trip to the Dr or grocery, today the go out to eat, go to the gym, senior center activities, almost daily trips to the convenience store and if they have a medical issue or two, they visit several different Drs on a regular basis.

Ditto.

Today I always ask for their Cell phone numbers, I know, FE people don't use cell phones , then I ask if they text. The majority do. Because trying to catch these people home during the day is tough. Even in California's current lock down if you go to any of the outdoor dining places during the day It will have a lot of grey beards. Same with Costco, Walmart, Home Depot during the day. Our local weekend swap meets are so packed the have to close off the parking at times.

And no, I am not talking wealthy retirees. The 60 year old today was a 50 year old worker with a smart phone and email in 2010. And my HTC Evo was better than my brother's hippie iPhone.

Different people look at a piece of artwork differently. They experience it differently. Some are touched, moved, inspired, and feel they get it. Others do not. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some like vanilla, and some don't like ice cream at all. Some people like ketchup on their hot dogs, others think it's blasphemy, LOL.

My point -- I am not talking about door-knocking and whether or not it works, is viable, is good, etc. Obviously it's good and works, for some, in some ,marketplaces, etc. No discussion needed.

My point(s) were about door-knocking TODAY, given the world around us and the people who live in. This is an unprecedented world. Anyone can give reasons, justifications, rationalizations, and more. My only point is that from what I've experienced, heard from people, seen, have experienced personally, and so on...I just don't think it's a good idea TODAY. If it's working -- even better than before -- so be it.

Yes, in the early 1900's, the country saw the outbreak of typhoid. However, that was limited for the most part to NY. Since then, we have seen polio, H2N2, measles, H1N1, Sars, and HIV/AIDS, and others. While each may have been different than the other, for innumerable reasons, this is very different.

Couple all of this with the social and political landscape of the country. Does this instill panic and fear in me? Not at all. Should it for others? No, not at all. However, knocking on strangers' doors, in the midst of a global pandemic, immediate post-quarantine, with executive orders, laws, changes taking place on a daily and weekly basis in some parts of the country, does not seem like the most feasible and viable idea, efficient and effective...and let's say not for the person knocking...but for the person on the other side of the door! The results don't justify or prove right or wrong. There is no right or wrong. I feel that you are more likely to have a problem today than ever before. You are more likely to offend, bother, get someone concerned, or whatever you want to call it, today, than ever before.

There have been incidents all over NY, NJ, CA, OR, WA, TX, IL, GA, SC, NC, and other states as well. Ranging from a "salesman" to real estate agents, to cleaning service people, to a delivery person putting menus in people's doors. Folks, that's why they call them accidents -- because no one plans on it happening. A mistake is always labeled so ex post facto. Is any of this the norm? No, but it's more common today than before. Is it a reason not to knock on doors? To each their own. What used to be...is perhaps not any longer, not today. Not everything.

That being said...go knock on all the doors you like. I am sharing my perspective, and not speaking directly to any reason, fact, opinion, etc., as to why NOT. It's environmental, societal, landscape, current world, etc. That's my perspective. I am not trying to diminish someone else's opinion. I guess others' do that on a regular basis. Don't mistake my lack of a reply as agreeing with you. So, shonceman, thanks for the insight. Makes perfect sense. Hope to see you in another "room" on this forum. Have a great day everyone.

Back