Email Blast Software

GreenSky

Guru
5000 Post Club
Henderson, NV
Forgive me please for posting this question in the correct forum.

I have a large number of addresses which need to be emailed. Obviously I can't do this from my account.

I'm looking for software where I can upload the csv file and have it blast the email recipients. Do these programs allow this without disclosing therefore getting my email address blacklists?

Suggestions please.

Rick

Have you considered using a service such as Constant Contact? I send out several hundred at a time and have never had an issue.

You can add addresses to Mail Chimp in batch. Some services will only let opt-in addresses get added to their database.

But if Chimp finds out you did not do any kind of opt-in on the list you upload (they are trusting you) because they get too many complaints, they will cancel your account.

Getting on a black list is an ugly mess. ISPs who who check the return or "sender" address on things like Spamhaus will block any mail of yours if you are on the list. Thus a lot of your outgoing mail will never be seen.

I'm told there are some mail servers that will also check the "to" address and your domain is on the list, you won't get any mail flowing through that server from people trying to reach you.

I would not take the chance of sending out 8500 mailings to a list that was not opt-in or at least to people I have some kind of biz-relationship with... say a biz card you got on a cold-walk-in.

If you want to get free software that does some of what these services do check out:

phplist.com : phpList : The world's most popular open source email campaign manager

It is fairly easy to install on your web host and to configure if your host throttles your outgoing mail to, say, 100 per hour. (If that is the case you really will want to use a service and not your own software as it will take a long time to do 10,000.)

Some hosts have their own mailing software... like Dreamhost and while I have an account at DH, I've never used that facility.

I use phpList occasionally but since Mail Chimp will let you have a list of 2,000 addresses for free I've been using that instead ... a bit easier to use and has more features.

Hope this helps.

Al

Al3 u do not want to use mail chimp for people who have not opted in..

It depends on how you define "opt-in." I've used Chimp with people I've met at CoC mixers who gave me their biz card when I said I'd like to send them some info on what I do.

Is that an opt-in? I think so, but I can understand if you disagree. My point is that I've never received a complaint. As for how Mail Chimp defines opt-in, I have to assume they agree with me as they allow you to upload a list of addresses that you claim are opt-in... I guess by whatever definition you apply.

To be honest, after about 6 years of sending a newsletter almost every 2 weeks and given the amount of biz it brought compared to the amount of time it took, I stopped sending it about six months ago.

However, I do run into people who remark that they have not received my newsletter "lately" and I reply that it was simply not worth the effort.

I'm sure I'm in the minority (probably because my newsletters were crap) but both newsletter marketing along with networking are simply overrated these days... and old-fashioned cold calling on the phone is underrated.

YMMV.

Al
I am at this site.

al3 said:
It depends on how you define "opt-in." I've used Chimp with people I've met at CoC mixers who gave me their biz card when I said I'd like to send them some info on what I do.

Is that an opt-in? I think so, but I can understand if you disagree. My point is that I've never received a complaint. As for how Mail Chimp defines opt-in, I have to assume they agree with me as they allow you to upload a list of addresses that you claim are opt-in... I guess by whatever definition you apply.

To be honest, after about 6 years of sending a newsletter almost every 2 weeks and given the amount of biz it brought compared to the amount of time it took, I stopped sending it about six months ago.

However, I do run into people who remark that they have not received my newsletter "lately" and I reply that it was simply not worth the effort.

I'm sure I'm in the minority (probably because my newsletters were crap) but both newsletter marketing along with networking are simply overrated these days... and old-fashioned cold calling on the phone is underrated.

YMMV.

Al
I am at this site.

Al, why wouldn't you just go to a quarterly newsletter rather than bi-weekly? Seems to me like it would have the same benefit with MUCH less work.

Funny thing about opt-in....
Its how the email recipient determines it, not the email sender.

You only have to explain it when someone complains.

Dan

Back