• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Even Old Guys Make Huge Mistakes

Tough break old guy...it happens to the best of us.

Did you consider pivoting to ACI? Level's a couple of bucks less per month than Equitable Preferred.

Don't have them.

----------

Man, sorry to hear about this one brother...you are right, short cuts can bust all of us, thanks for sharing and remember there is always tomorrow.

I am not upset over not getting the case.. Just with the fact that it was my laziness/stupidity that was the cause.. The bright side is it proves there are people who will spend $200-$300 per month for SIWL if we will just go find them.

Don't have them.

----------

I am not upset over not getting the case.. Just with the fact that it was my laziness/stupidity that was the cause.. The bright side is it proves there are people who will spend $200-$300 per month for SIWL if we will just go find them.

I'm kickin myself too----------don't know if it was laziness, or cockiness that he wouldn't find a sweeter opportunity or just believe that he was actually smarter than a dumbass. The guy was 5'7" , 400# with diabetes and sleep apnea/dpap and I quotes him level with good rates with Trans------he felt an obligation to let his Med Sup agent quote him too who he had told me had mentioned MOO and Gerber to him on first request. Why I didn't push and let him go back to give the guy another change is beyond me----over-confidence it guess. So follow up with him today and he tells me hes either getting twice the whole life coverage with 15 year MOO term--hes age 65 now-----or getting the Gerber. Un--------ingBeleivable the idiots we sometime give credit for having some sense---so the lesson learning is don't give folks credit for making a smart and prudent decision when you walk out the door. I should have never given him a chance to go back to that guy but feared not from term and Gerber ROP when I offered him level. With it seemingly lost in a nice way I insulted his intelligence or lack of---wish I could be there down the road to say I told you so to the stupidity of it.

Fell prey to the temptation of taking shortcuts today. Had a case that appeared to be a laydown.... 70 year old retired truck driver.. Had a 25K term expiring.. wanted to increase his coverage to 40K.. Asked the health questions .. no problems other than cholesterol and taking an oral medication for diabetes.. well controlled. Quoted 25K SNL and 15K Equitable.. Total $276 monthly.. Prospect says , "great".. and gets his checkbook..

Fill out the SNL app and ask for meds.. Taking a statin for the cholesterol, the diabetes pill, a long term antibiotic becasue of a condition that cause skin boils. And then......... Gabapentin. I ask him if he has ever had seizures.. He says no.. Uh Oh.. how about Neuropathy? He says "no" I ask what the Gabapentin is for.... He says he is taking it for leg cramps that he has had since he was a child.. I breath a sign of relief because the drug can be used for restless leg syndrome.. I ask how long he has been taking it and he says about 2 years.. the sick feeling returns.

Do the phone interview with Equitable.. At the end the policy is approved but the rate is $800 more than my quote.. I ask why and she tells me it is issued standard due to neuropathy.. I explain the leg cramps.. she insists it is neuropathy... Prospect gets upset and says he will not pay additional premium because he does not have neuropathy.. .. End up leaving the hosue with no sale.

I almost always do not quote a case until after I have discussed the medications a prospect takes.. Had I not gotten in a hurry, I would have known to quote something different. He would have probably bought at a higher premium if I had not already quoted a lower premium.. as it was he felt he was being taken advantage of.

New agents... if your sales slack off, take a look at how you are doing things.. Never ever get to thinking you are so good you can afford to take shortcuts..

Almost the same thing happened today to me. Client on gabapentin, oxcarbozepine. He told me he's taking the oxcarbozepine to offset moods swings and to supplement his abilify. Gabapentin to calm nevervesness, no shaking. Explained everything as well as I could on the trans supplemental sheet. Hoping this gets through underwriting. Sent in as preferred rates. Crossing fingers.

Almost the same thing happened today to me. Client on gabapentin, oxcarbozepine. He told me he's taking the oxcarbozepine to offset moods swings and to supplement his abilify. Gabapentin to calm nevervesness, no shaking. Explained everything as well as I could on the trans supplemental sheet. Hoping this gets through underwriting. Sent in as preferred rates. Crossing fingers.

in addition to the crossed fingers hope you crossed all your Ts on that app or its going to be pended till you go back and have the applicant initial off on the missed T cross. You still might even get an amendment.

in addition to the crossed fingers hope you crossed all your Ts on that app or its going to be pended till you go back and have the applicant initial off on the missed T cross. You still might even get an amendment.

Yeah. That application has a learning curve. Hope it goes through!

I would say, the MIB indicated Neuropathy... I would have been glad to submit the SNL by itself but the prospect was really upset... Plus his wife spoke up after the POS and told him, "I told you not to spend all that money on insurance." He tried to explain to her that he was doing it for her but she just kept on. She told him, "I told you just to go down to the funeral home and prepay like i did." He tried to tell her he wanted to leave her some extra money but finally he just shook his head and said, "I guess that is what I will do".. I might could have recovered if it had not been for her but it is doubtful.. But with her giving him down the road, it was just not possible.

As the old saying goes - "Every cloud has a silver lining" might just apply here. This case could have very well gone south down the road if the wife stuck her fork in it after the policies were issued and paid.

----------

The bright side is it proves there are people who will spend $200-$300 per month for SIWL if we will just go find them.

This is so true. I have said it a million times that you don't have to prospect in trailer parks and sit in cat sh** to write decent SIWL cases.

In fact, a few months ago I had the opportunity to meet and have dinner with Spur City here in NJ where I have written a ton of SIWL/FE and he can attest that most of the homes around here would never be considered "FE housing" by many here on the forum.

As the old saying goes - "Every cloud has a silver lining" might just apply here. This case could have very well gone south down the road if the wife stuck her fork in it after the policies were issued and paid. ---------- This is so true. I have said it a million times that you don't have to prospect in trailer parks and sit in cat sh** to write decent SIWL cases. In fact, a few months ago I had the opportunity to meet and have dinner with Spur City here in NJ where I have written a ton of SIWL/FE and he can attest that most of the homes around here would never be considered "FE housing" by many here on the forum.

This is VERY true! That southern area of NJ was MUCH different from some of the places around the country that I have had to work. NICE CLEAN area with VERY FRIENDLY people. More homes than apartments and not a single appointment was in anything that I would consider a HOOD. GREAT area to work and VERY DIFFERENT (in a good way) clientele than what I'm used to. It was one of those places where when I left I thought to myself, "IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT HERE, THEN YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ANYWHERE" ;)

THANKS for dinner by the way. You were good company...

Last edited:
Yep I was lazy today and just worked some follow ups I knew I could write. Have 3 policies in a house and went to write the wife. She had $30k of American income life and I could give her $60k of sagicor. I started off wrong by attempting the e app as I figured small case and 16% more commish on the sage no lapse ul.So I had the learning curve there and screwed up the app and it took 90 minutes . Then when I press the confirm button it comes back declined. She gets all pissed and says she'll keep what she has. I wrote the underwriter at sagicor and asked why it was declined. He manually pulled it and approved it at standard smoker instead of preferred. Had already left house so tommorrow I'm going back to save it. I had a whole day of door knocking all set up for people 50-59 that work during the week and this throws it off.

Yep when you have over 25 co's and multiple Imo's and your product line spans over multiples types of products no one imo can satisfy what you need nor have the knowledge one can have. I promise no upline can make you succesful. You got to learn on your own and talk direct with companies if you have questions.

Back