Exchange - Alternative Options

MW Agent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Client has an exchange policy in WI. The APTC was changed (eliminated), client can't cash flow the policy. Client and kids are relatively healthy, spouse has a number of pre-ex's. They were on a gold plan, when a dependent dropped off to move out of state, the APTC went away. Next year they want to go to a Bronze plan to cash flow the premiums, but can't adjust until open enrollment.

Are there some options available to drop husband/kids onto a new plan and leave the spouse on the current set-up in the exchange? Short term medical makes me nervous due to the pre-ex clauses and other issues. Is there any sort of viable non-qualified health plan out there, possibly underwritten that's available? I don't have any desire to write the policy, just trying to help a friend.

Client has an exchange policy in WI. The APTC was changed (eliminated), client can't cash flow the policy. Client and kids are relatively healthy, spouse has a number of pre-ex's. They were on a gold plan, when a dependent dropped off to move out of state, the APTC went away. Next year they want to go to a Bronze plan to cash flow the premiums, but can't adjust until open enrollment.

Are there some options available to drop husband/kids onto a new plan and leave the spouse on the current set-up in the exchange? Short term medical makes me nervous due to the pre-ex clauses and other issues. Is there any sort of viable non-qualified health plan out there, possibly underwritten that's available? I don't have any desire to write the policy, just trying to help a friend.

Why did they lose the tax credit?
Higher income?
Smaller family size?

You can get tax credit back for next month if you re do the application correctly and are aptc eligible

To my knowledge, there is nothing else available. STM is pretty much the only other even remotely viable option, but in a case like this, it most likely wouldn’t be very beneficial.

Not to dig the knife further into people that voted for Obamacare, but this is what happens when the government gets involved with insurance (or pretty much anything)...your options get eliminated.

Back