Federal Gov To Sponsor PPACA Health Plan

If Romney wins he'll make all plans available across state lines. New Yorkers will be thrilled to death to buy a plan in Ohio!

Get excited health agents!

IMO, health insurance companies will set their premium based on the zip code of your home address. Otherwise, everyone in a higher risk/cost urban area would drive up the premiums for everyone who lives in a lower-priced location.

What's unknown is which state's consumer protections and benefit mandates would apply. Anyone have an idea?
-ac

Buying across state lines will not generate savings or enthusiasm. Earlier this year carriers were given permission to sell policies that were filed in other states to GA citizens.

So far not a single carrier has come forward asking permission to sell in GA.

And our legislators are scratching their heads, trying to figure out why.

One of the key sponsors of the bill was a local insurance agent. Just shows how little he knows about health insurance.

It Looks like the Federal Government sponsored Exchange plan is moving closer to reality. The final rule was issued on March 1, 2013.

Excerpt from News Article Referenced Below:
"Although the final legislation did not include a public option, it did contain two provisions to increase competition and choice in local market, one creating a consumer cooperative program and the other creating multi-state plans. The multi-state plan program (MSPP) provision of the ACA requires the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), which operates the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program (FEHBP), to contract with at least two insurers (one of which must be non-profit) to offer health plans in every state in the country.
Although the ACA specifies that plans that meet OPM requirements must be certified as qualified health plans in every exchange in which they are available, the ACA also contains a level-playing field requirement; this provides that, if multi-state plans are not required to abide by certain federal or state law requirements, no other insurance plan will be bound by those requirements, either."

Ref: Implementing Health Reform: The Multi-State Plan Program Final Rule – Health Affairs Blog

Since there will not be ANY insurer who will be in EVERY state exchange, as the regulation requires, this government-sponsored "Multi-State Plan" is probably just a pipe dream?
-AC

FEHB uses several carriers to administer plans in every state. There is no "one" plan and benefits can vary by your domicile state.

It really doesn't matter what HHS wants. If carriers don't play along it won't happen, and the closer we get to 2014 it looks like several carriers are digging their heels in.

Non-profit carrier is a red herring. Anyone with half a brain knows that non-profit carriers are not inherently competitive.

Last edited:
It Looks like the Federal Government sponsored Exchange plan is moving closer to reality. The final rule was issued on March 1, 2013.

Excerpt from News Article Referenced Below:
"Although the final legislation did not include a public option, it did contain two provisions to increase competition and choice in local market, one creating a consumer cooperative program and the other creating multi-state plans. The multi-state plan program (MSPP) provision of the ACA requires the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), which operates the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program (FEHBP), to contract with at least two insurers (one of which must be non-profit) to offer health plans in every state in the country.
Although the ACA specifies that plans that meet OPM requirements must be certified as qualified health plans in every exchange in which they are available, the ACA also contains a level-playing field requirement; this provides that, if multi-state plans are not required to abide by certain federal or state law requirements, no other insurance plan will be bound by those requirements, either."

Ref: Implementing Health Reform: The Multi-State Plan Program Final Rule – Health Affairs Blog

Since there will not be ANY insurer who will be in EVERY state exchange, as the regulation requires, this government-sponsored "Multi-State Plan" is probably just a pipe dream?
-AC

and them colored insurance folks already told a source they are addminstrating this plan

Hmmmmm.... Racist? Or perhaps an insurance company characterized by a certain color....?

first off, I served in politics in a minority district and for those that don't know I am in a mixed race marriage.... so I would think not.

next... I made a comment on here months ago that I would not mention any company that could do me harm with contract term..... so, your smart.... figure it out

first off, I served in politics in a minority district and for those that don't know I am in a mixed race marriage.... so I would think not.

next... I made a comment on here months ago that I would not mention any company that could do me harm with contract term..... so, your smart.... figure it out

I didn't mean harm. Just clarifying, and using a little bit of humor to do so. I know you're not racist!

Back