• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Fight Club’

Should the mods bring back the Fight Club?

• Bring it back! Bring it back! Bring it back!

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Naw, just ban the idiots.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Keep current system of toleration, but move all political arguments to Non-Insurance

• Leave the current system in place

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, folks! We’re halfway there. This thread got moved to the non-insurance section, which is where all the political crap belongs (even my own!)!

Still, with the poll showing overwhelming support for a new Fight Club (you know, 16 votes out of 22 total - A LANDSLIDE!!!), I hope the mods are thinking about it!

Ok, folks! We’re halfway there. This thread got moved to the non-insurance section, which is where all the political crap belongs (even my own!)!

Still, with the poll showing overwhelming support for a new Fight Club (you know, 16 votes out of 22 total - A LANDSLIDE!!!), I hope the mods are thinking about it!
Uh, yeah. It kind of puts me in the position of having my comments taken out of context as I posted comments on a variety of threads. People who do not subscribe to The IF can't view these threads. Why not make them viewable to the public like all the other threads?

Uh, yeah. It kind of puts me in the position of having my comments taken out of context as I posted comments on a variety of threads. People who do not subscribe to The IF can't view these threads. Why not make them viewable to the public like all the other threads?
It’s a mistake to rely on posts across several threads to provide context. Most people (including me) don’t read every single thread, anyway.

Forums that are specific to other industries and/or avocations often ban political speech altogether. At least here, people can continue a conversation, even though the mods deem it unfit for public consumption.

It’s a mistake to rely on posts across several threads to provide context. Most people (including me) don’t read every single thread, anyway.

Forums that are specific to other industries and/or avocations often ban political speech altogether. At least here, people can continue a conversation, even though the mods deem it unfit for public consumption.
Is that Chappelle video still fit for public consumption?

Is that Chappelle video still fit for public consumption?
Honestly haven’t seen it. But I’m not one of the mods, so my opinion of it doesn’t really matter. In spite of my tongue-in-cheek poll here, this forum isn’t a democracy. The people that own it get to determine what is and isn’t fit. If you’re claiming discriminatory practice, that may be something worth debating. But this isn’t a semi-monopoly like FaceBook or Twitter. So at the end of the day, to paraphrase @WinoBlues , “Their house, Their rules.”

Honestly haven’t seen it. But I’m not one of the mods, so my opinion of it doesn’t really matter. In spite of my tongue-in-cheek poll here, this forum isn’t a democracy. The people that own it get to determine what is and isn’t fit. If you’re claiming discriminatory practice, that may be something worth debating. But this isn’t a semi-monopoly like FaceBook or Twitter. So at the end of the day, to paraphrase @WinoBlues , “Their house, Their rules.”
Wow, y'all seem to be selective reading my posts. I've made it clear more than once that I respect The IF's right to run their site anyway they see fit and I would have it no other way. But, having browsed thru The IF rules today for the first time, I have to wonder, why do they not enforce:

Vulgar posts

We forbid all vulgarity. Curse words will be deleted and the violator will be subject to suspension. There are many colorful ways of expressing your thoughts without resorting to vulgarity.

Members can also be banned for personal attacks, including name calling and casting aspersions on people personally. Bans are rarely permanent, except for repeated spammers and people who violate our vulgarity or fighting rules.

As with any forum, there will always be some editorial decisions around what constitutes a personal attack, etc. The forum administration reserves the sole right to make these determinations. However, anyone can report any post they deem offensive and it will be reviewed by an administrator.

I've posted nothing vulgar but have been subjected to attacks that are vulgar. I've made many attempts to reconcile civility in hearted exchanges, a review of my posts reveals I've never been gratuitous with insults or baseless accusations though I've been the subject of them, I haven't attacked anyone.

I've posted nothing vulgar but have been subjected to attacks that are vulgar. I've made many attempts to reconcile civility in hearted exchanges, a review of my posts reveals I've never been gratuitous with insults or baseless accusations though I've been the subject of them, I haven't attacked anyone.

upload_2020-9-29_13-1-25-png.6485

Back