Fire Insurance Only ?

Of all the homeowner claims your companies have paid, what percentage wouldn't be covered by one of these perils? By far in my area windstorm and hail are the biggest deal. The only peril this form is missing is accidental discharge of water. If you add that in I'd bet 99% of claims would be covered under this policy form.

And eventually a roof has to be replaced anyway whether by a claim or not. Most people can absorb non-fire losses if they must. No one is happy to pay $10,000 for a new roof out of pocket but it won't wipe someone out.

Liability insurance and fire insurance are by far the most important coverages on a home or rental dwelling.

Actually, my claims have ran around 50/50 on what would be covered under this policy. I've had a number of fairly large theft claims that wouldn't be covered. I've had trees fall on houses, which usually isn't covered. Lots of water claims that wouldn't be covered (i.e., pipes burst).

If it saves a substantial amount of money, you can make an argument for the policy (not a good one), but in most cases, it will cost more (or the same) to have less coverage. Just the way it works.

Dan

Latest posts

Back