First day cold calling a FLOP

"WE HAVE THEM WRIGHT WERE WE WANT THEM, ALL AROUND US." said Chesty Puller. Semper Fi

MY FATHER WAS THERE WITH HIM.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ALG - I'm from Georgia ... ;) Atlanta ...

I made about 50 calls. My script was written by a pro but I don't sound like a pro ...

I sound very young and this seems to go against me ...

I did get one LTC interest and I'm going to deliver some information to her ... I'm hoping for an appt out of it.

Do you not cold call for Med Supp?

HI GEORGIA BOY.

NO I DO NOT SELL MED SUP OR MA, HOW MANY PEOPLE DID YOU SPEAK TO OUT OF 50?

HAS YOUR MENTOR SHOWED YOU THIS WOULD WORK OR JUST SAID GO TO IT.

WHAT IS YOUR SALES BACK GROUND BEFORE INSURANCE?

Last edited:
I need a pep talk ...

I have put everything on the line to be an insurance agent.

Got all my ducks in a row ... ready to take on the world ...

however, i got nowhere today during my first day of calling up Seniors to sell them med sups.

My family is depending on me to do well at this so I need a pick me up ... if you can offer one ...:no:
After reading everyone's responses to your first day of cold calling, some agents have pointed out that you are selling only one product, limiting your potential,only made 50 calls, again limiting your potential. It is also noted that you may not be establishing yourself as an expert, even when you may have a captive audience. You did not seek to acknowledge the Medicare advantage plans the do not require any premium as being part of your arsenal. do you even sell them? We sell more of those than med supps. When my in house agents makes calls from internet leads, they will do 50 in anhour and a half. Our dialer can do 100 calls per minute per agent.
Revamp your product lineup, add med advantage to your Senior portfolio, add under 65 to your arsenal as well, and make more calls, regardless of what method you make contact. I have done all successfully in the last 30 years.
made a fortune at it, and still making more, and started the same way you just did. cold calling!

It's only lunch time... why are you quitting? 50 calls is nothing... To generate leads in this manner you should be doing 3-5 times this many calls on a daily basis to build your pipeline up.

How long did it take to make 50 calls?

While cold calling may not be the preferred marketing choice of many, it works for some agents.

Have you internalized the script and made it your own? You may just need more practice with it.

50 calls is a very small sample. You should be able to make 25 calls an hour. Stop goofing off between calls and crank for an hour non-stop, then get up and clear you head for five minutes.

When you get someone on the phone, you should set the appointment and be off the phone in five minutes. Stop trying to be their friend and waxing about Alabama. You're a busy agent on a mission to avoid living in the van down by the river.

Set a new goal -- 200 dials a day.

Now that is what I call a pep talk!

GREAT!!!!

Knowing the ratio of calls vs actual appointments ... or even getting an answer to my call, really helps. That is kind of what I was looking for. Also, the personal stories and success years later, helps ...

The reason I'm focusing on Med Sup and cold calling is because a pro on this board pointed me in that direction. It worked for him and I like his style. He gave me his script and targetted market ... easier to follow someone else then recreate my own sytem (as pointed out).

I was a car salesman before and it was quite different ... they usually come to you, you don't go to them ... not to this extent anyway.

Anything else????????????????????
so .... how many calls do you think it would take to get one appointment?

Last edited:
GREAT!!!!

Knowing the ratio of calls vs actual appointments ... or even getting an answer to my call, really helps. That is kind of what I was looking for. Also, the personal stories and success years later, helps ...

The reason I'm focusing on Med Sup and cold calling is because a pro on this board pointed me in that direction. It worked for him and I like his style. He gave me his script and targetted market ... easier to follow someone else then recreate my own sytem (as pointed out).

I was a car salesman before and it was quite different ... they usually come to you, you don't go to them ... not to this extent anyway.

Anything else????????????????????
so .... how many calls do you think it would take to get one appointment?

SMILE BEFORE YOU DIAL, HAVE A PHOTO OF YOUR CHILDREN OR JUST ANY THING THAT ALWAYS BRINGS A SMILE TO YOUR FACE. TAKE COMMERCIAL BREAKS, PLAY A GAME, JUST TAKE YOUR MIND OFF THINGS FOR A FEW MINUTES THEN BACK TO WORK. SET YOUR GOALS AND MEET THEM, 100 CALLS 30 LIVE PEOPLE TO TALK TO 5 APPOINTMENTS. REMEMBER TO BREATH, YOU WILL COME ACROSS BETTER TO YOUR CLIENT NOT AS STRESSED.

Are you an internet guy? Or do you focus on mailers, seminars etc ... Internet is expensive ... however, I know there are cheap adwords out there ... if you can find the right niche wording ... how do you advertise yourself? Do you have a company name? Do you go for the cheapest price? do you go for the better company? What is your hook? I don't want you to share all your tricks but I'm curious as to what you do ... there is always a bit of mystery behind your posts ... the only thing i'm clear on is that you feel cold calling is not as effective as marketing yourself ... Makes sense ... that is what big companies do ... i've never had a Taco Bell rep call me to sell me a taco ;)

Back