First day with the Telemarketer

John P.'s philosophy is spot on.
You have to take baby steps with these small business owners. You will not be able to sell them on the first or second appointments. (At least newbies). Get as many leads as you can. In most areas we get 3-5 leads per hour. In Atlanta yesterday we were getting over 6 leads per hour for Mike Golden. You will close about 1 in 15 leads. That does not mean you will only sell 1 in 15, those are just initial numbers. You will pick up some sales a month or 2 down the road. Get as many leads as possible! John P. has had very good success with our dialers. On average he gets a sale every 2 hours on our system. (Pretty good) Also, It is much better to make the calls yourself also rather than have us or another tele prospecting company do it for you. Most agents know what to say and when to say it. You just need the tools to get you there.

We all want savvy clients but we have to realize that savvy clients don't think emotionally. The only people you sign up quickly are emotional thinkers and although they sign up quickly they also tend to cancel quickly.

Smart people don't jump into buying anything. Most agents give up before they even have a chance at signing up savvy clients - they get frustrated since they can't pin 'em down after 1 or 2 calls.

Again, it takes on average 2 weeks for me to close a telemarketed deals and most agents stop all contact after the 1st or 2nd contact.

We all want savvy clients but we have to realize that savvy clients don't think emotionally. The only people you sign up quickly are emotional thinkers and although they sign up quickly they also tend to cancel quickly.

John, I respect your insight, this just happens to be one area where I disagree. Prospects make decisions emotionally, they justify intellictually. I think it comes down to the agent's own belief on the buying process. If you in general make buying decisions quickly, you will expect the same from your prospects. I don't apply a lot of pressure by any means, but I do let prospects know before a presentation that this will either make sense or it won't. If it does, we'll fill out an app, if it doesn't we'll part as friends.

The sales process can still drag out, usually because it can be tough to pin a business owner down for 20 minutes, but in my case those that move forward do after they see the rates for the first time. I don't send out any quotes or literature ahead of time. As long as you do some qualifying ahead of time: make sure you will have all decision makers there, make sure there is enough pain, qualify on premium, check doctor fit, and check for medical conditions, there shouldn't be anything to think about.

Now I have to quit posting and get to work!

Last edited:
Back