• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Genworth on Review

I find it interesting that the numbers posted show a loss even after accounting for the charges related to reserves. Are there even more reserves being set aside than the article references, or is Genworth just bleeding money?

Originally posted by VolAgent

I find it interesting that the numbers posted show a loss even after accounting for the charges related to reserves. Are there even more reserves being set aside than the article references, or is Genworth just bleeding money?

I hope so......
They have added almost $1 BILLION to prop up their Reseves in only the last 2 quarters.

Their net loss was $761 million and of that, $478 million were due to the Reserve shortage.

Now, totally they have tons of billions of money set aside in their Reserves. But they have huge amounts of claims against specific blocks of business where the Reserves are under what the DOI mandates. So, it's these particular blocks ("policies the firm acquired", which leads me to believe it was the Traveler's blocks from the mid-90's) which are hurting them.

I hope so......
They have added almost $1 BILLION to prop up their Reseves in only the last 2 quarters.

Their net loss was $761 million and of that, $478 million were due to the Reserve shortage.

Now, totally they have tons of billions of money set aside in their Reserves. But they have huge amounts of claims against specific blocks of business where the Reserves are under what the DOI mandates. So, it's these particular blocks ("policies the firm acquired", which leads me to believe it was the Traveler's blocks from the mid-90's) which are hurting them.

So if they lost 761 and 478 of that was reserves, that still means they actually lost $283 million due to ongoing operations in that quarter. That is pretty scary. It means they are losing money on an ongoing basis, completely ignoring the one-time charges for reserves.

Now, is that due to LTC or some other business unit, I don't know. But it does mean that at is currently sits, Genworth as a company is not profitable.

So if they lost 761 and 478 of that was reserves, that still means they actually lost $283 million due to ongoing operations in that quarter. That is pretty scary. It means they are losing money on an ongoing basis, completely ignoring the one-time charges for reserves.

Now, is that due to LTC or some other business unit, I don't know. But it does mean that at is currently sits, Genworth as a company is not profitable.

They wrote off the balance of their goodwill.
It's just a loss on paper, like depreciation.
It's not a loss on cash or operations.

"The company also recorded non-cash charges of $340 million after-tax reflecting the write off of remaining life insurance and LTC goodwill"

Back