Groundhog Day & Sales the Ned Ryerson Way

G

It's that time of year, so if you haven’t seen the movie Groundhog Day, rent it!

Not only is it funny with a good moral lesson, but it has a pretty famous insurance salesperson as a reoccurring character, his name is Ned Ryerson.

Although Ned comes off as a pushy salesperson, if you pay attention, cleverly woven throughout his scenes are some classic selling techniques in which we could all learn from, regardless of what field you're in.

So whether you have forgotten these principles, or you never learned them to begin with, check this out.

Did you notice the following?
  • He's ready to engage a potential client.
  • He makes sure that he states what he does for a living.
  • He asks if Phil if has insurance.
  • He persists by saying that even if he does have coverage, he could use more.
  • He relates to a need. When Phil says he's not feeling very well, he seizes the opportunity to state what he does and how he might be able to help.
  • He charges like a bull, going after opportunity.
  • He discusses multiple products.
  • He gets the sale and cross sells other products in the process.
Are you as proactive in your career?

Even though this is a movie and the script closes the sale, there's still some solid advice that will assist you in closing more sales or furthering your career.
  • Are you ready when that phone rings or when you meet someone? Do you always have business cards handy? Do you know what to say?
  • Approach people, don't be shy, and tell everyone what you do, if they don't need you right now, they might later on or they may know someone who does. Put it out there, it can't hurt AND always be respectful.
  • Ask if they have what you provide, it can start a conversation and is also qualifying the potential sale or connection.
  • Persist. It's possible that they are not familiar with what you do or offer, and they won't know unless you tell them. You won't know unless you ask, so strike up a conversation. You've probably done it before, started or joined conversations with strangers about sports, news or politics, so why not do it regarding something important to your career?
  • Pay attention and look for a need, ask questions and listen so that you can discover how you can provide a solution for any issue that they may have.
  • If you have multiple services or products, offer them to every you meet with, let them say no, or not interested. Remember they won't usually ask if you have other offers, so you have to do it.
Now go out there and make Ned Proud!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm blessed my friend, hope you are as well!

:1cute:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good to hear from you again.I hope things are well.[/quote]

Rob is back. Man I was wondering where you've been. Been jamming any lately?

SMAN!!!!!!!!!!!! How have you been?

Yes, I've been doing some local acoustic gigs playing percussion and there's talk of a few festival tours this summer, including Germany which would be sick!!

Thanks for asking man, hope you've been well!

Rob is back. Man I was wondering where you've been. Been jamming any lately?

Back