• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Headset Recommendations

Aram Fingal

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've been looking at wireless headsets lately and I'm just wondering if anyone has recommendations? I would prefer one that works with both my cell phone and my desk phone. Plantronics makes some that do that, but they're about $400.

Do I really need to spend that much money to get a good one?

Am I better off to just have one for my desk phone and one for my cell phone?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Woops, meant to put this in the technology and hardware forum...

Last edited:
do u have a bluetooth compatible desk phone? I use plantronics bluetooth headeset voyager pro with cell, have a plantronics cs55 or whatever the model is for ip phone and $40 logitech usb headset for pc.

u could prob use the plantronics voyager and be fine.

I bought the Plantronics CS-55h for about $300 over 6 years ago. One of the best investments in my business I ever made. It was a lot of money, but it works very well, still works very well. I've tried others, none have worked as robustly.

I also wish I could have 1 headset for my deskphone, cell phone, and my computer. Since I have a good solution for my deskphone, I haven't found myself willing to part with another $300-$400 to have the integrated solution, so the way areound this is to simply forward my cell phone to my desk phone when I'm in the office. Turns out, that works pretty well.

Dan

I've been looking at wireless headsets lately and I'm just wondering if anyone has recommendations? I would prefer one that works with both my cell phone and my desk phone. Plantronics makes some that do that, but they're about $400.

Do I really need to spend that much money to get a good one?

Am I better off to just have one for my desk phone and one for my cell phone?
Woops, meant to put this in the technology and hardware forum...

What you need is the Jabra A7010. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore, but you can find them on ebay once every week or two. I have one that I keep in case my expensive plantronics stops working. What it does is act as a bluetooth "base" that allows you to pair your phone with your bluetooth headset. Just pair it up like you would your cell phone and it works like a charm. Plugs into the same port as your handset.

Also...the voyager pro or voyager pro+ is the best bluetooth for sound quality.
BTW, I just looked on ebay and there is one for $100. I would say that $50-55 is the price you're looking for if you want a good deal. It's probably worth $75-80 as far as the value it provides.

Last edited:
My desk phones are Polycom, I think model SP550 or something like that? They have a port on the back to plug in a headset. The only problem is that you have to press the headset button on the phone to make that work. The big problem I have is that the handset lifters won't work with my phone because of the shape of the handset (it will just slide off when lifted). There is supposed to be something that goes in line with the plug from the headset base to the headset jack on the phone that will tell it to connect and disconnect, but that's another $75....

It seems that this is way more complicated than it needs to be. I wish the office supply stores carried this kind of thing so you could go in and actually look at it and talk to someone who might know something about it. It's hard to plunk down $400 to $500 on something sight unseen.

I have the Polycom 5xx phone as well. I found a little plastic piece that someone makes so the handset lifter actually works on the phone. Basically, it cradles the bottom of the handset so it doesn't slip down when its lifted, so it goes back down correctly.

Let me see if I can find the info for it again.

Dan

That would certainly make my life a lot easier... I thought about just gluing something to the phone but wasn't really sure what would work and didn't want to end up with a bunch of Lego pieces stuck all over the place.

I have the Polycom 5xx phone as well. I found a little plastic piece that someone makes so the handset lifter actually works on the phone. Basically, it cradles the bottom of the handset so it doesn't slip down when its lifted, so it goes back down correctly.

Let me see if I can find the info for it again.

Dan

Go w/ the Plantronics and shop nothing else.

Quality, durability, and performance are all there. Batteries last forever as long as you don't sit it down on the charger every time you get off a call.

I have several offices with these. I won't ever use anything else.

Best investment you'll ever make for your neck.

Back