Help Me Rework my Intro Script!

Re: Help Me Rework my Intro Script! (pre existing customers - upselling)

Good evening

May I speak to (NAME) please?

Hello (NAME). My name is (NAME) and I’m calling from (COMPANY).

How are you today?

Just to let you know, we record all of our calls for training and quality purposes.

Ok the reason for my call is to say thank you for (being a pre existing customer) and to let you know about a service available to you, called (PRODUCT).

It can (BENEFITS OF PRODUCT).

And currently we’re offering the (PRODUCT) with the (INTRODUCTORY FREE PERIOD) to valued members like you.

Ok so thats my intro script. Obscured for the www, with identifiers taken out.

Looking purely at structure and delivery, i really want to work this baby out, so i can deliver the optimum percentage of customer interest and adhesion, as i take them to the promised land.

I do have to respect regulations and there are some things i cant do. The statement about calls being recorded is legally obligatory. I have to introduce my self and the company - also legally obligatory.

The product and the offer really also need to be mentioned.

Thats its really. I can rework and reword how i like, and as I told you guys before, at no point can i give an opinion on the product.

All your suggestions appreciated.

Im going to take a knife to this and give it a facelift.

Thank you.

You script sucks, but that is okay, my first script sucked too. How much of what you are saying do you think really care about? If you are new I would keep it very simply.

Hello, Nick, I'm calling you because....

You script sucks, but that is okay, my first script sucked too. How much of what you are saying do you think really care about? If you are new I would keep it very simply.

Hello, Nick, I'm calling you because....

I didnt make the script. A BIG company did. And i agree. It does suck. (Or rather is it blunt, complaint and boring). It has to be compliant, but it doesn't have to be boring and blunt to the point of banality.

I thought about going direct and just giving minimum information to get to the questions, or perhaps jazzing up the intro with some verbal feng shui and some nlp...

Your suggestion of minimising it, isn't a bad one though.

If you SOUND like a telemarketer... you'll be TREATED like a telemarketer.

The way to sound more local is to mention the CITY you are calling from, even reference the cross-streets, and the local area code on your caller ID.

"Hello _____? This is DHK, the local (company) rep here in (city)."

Instead ask "Do you have a quick minute to talk?"

Don't make a statement when you can ask a question.

"Is it okay with you that this call is being recorded?"

In another thread, you asked how to build rapport. Here's the secret: YOU don't. Let THEM build the rapport with you by the questions you ask.

Do you think that if you asked more questions, that you would find that useful? (That's a good question to ask others - would you find this useful?)

DHK's dead on with this post. It's text book approach to a good sales call. Definitely go with this format and move from there. The question asking IS the call.

DHK's dead on with this post. It's text book approach to a good sales call. Definitely go with this format and move from there. The question asking IS the call.

Re- the time check question at the start. I think these firms avoid it because they are playing a numbers game and are worried about getting shut down. They insert a half way "how are you doing today", that serves to give the customer a chance to protest a time constraint, without handing them the revolver.

Ive asked people if they have a minute, to diffuse a possible time constraint objection later. Its also a demonstration of courtesy and elicits a commitment of sorts from the prospect. The WCS isnt that they say no, as you can always call back and have demonstrated politeness by suggesting a cb. The biggest issue i see is it puts too much power in their hands and they might say, "not really, what is this about", which is a fake demonstration of interest, just so they can get a handle to close the door on you. Asking them if they have the time to talk isnt a bad opener for me though. I think in practice it works well and buys more time on the presentation, and more compliance from the customer if you are asking them questions.

Re- the time check question at the start. I think these firms avoid it because they are playing a numbers game and are worried about getting shut down. They insert a half way "how are you doing today", that serves to give the customer a chance to protest a time constraint, without handing them the revolver.

Ive asked people if they have a minute, to diffuse a possible time constraint objection later. Its also a demonstration of courtesy and elicits a commitment of sorts from the prospect. The WCS isnt that they say no, as you can always call back and have demonstrated politeness by suggesting a cb. The biggest issue i see is it puts too much power in their hands and they might say, "not really, what is this about", which is a fake demonstration of interest, just so they can get a handle to close the door on you. Asking them if they have the time to talk isnt a bad opener for me though. I think in practice it works well and buys more time on the presentation, and more compliance from the customer if you are asking them questions.

I don't know how many times there have been debates over this issue. I think again it depends on the agent. Some people can get a way with asking "do you have a quick sec?" (my personal favorite if I'm asking) with a tone of voice that doesn't really allow a no answer. Others will ask the "time" question and get jacked every time. The latest call center theory is NOT to ask as it invites the objection. But; if you doing regional calling it can be VERY impolite not to ask. In my region (the south) you can get in many conversations because it's not polite to say no. Either way, pick your poison.

Good evening

May I speak to (NAME) please?

Hello (NAME). My name is (NAME) and I’m calling from (COMPANY).

"Do you have a quick minute to talk?"

Just to let you know, we record all of our calls for training and quality purposes. I hope thats ok?

Have you heard of (policy name)? Well as a selected customer, theres (introductory time period) that has been made available to you on this.

If you have a moment, i can run through the details with you to see if it might interest you. - this last line feels weak (although it does tail well onto questions). I may be inclined to just go diving into the call.

I don't know how many times there have been debates over this issue. I think again it depends on the agent. Some people can get a way with asking "do you have a quick sec?" (my personal favorite if I'm asking) with a tone of voice that doesn't really allow a no answer. Others will ask the "time" question and get jacked every time. The latest call center theory is NOT to ask as it invites the objection. But; if you doing regional calling it can be VERY impolite not to ask. In my region (the south) you can get in many conversations because it's not polite to say no. Either way, pick your poison.

Im in the UK, so were all on the same clock. We can legally call till 9pm. And we do. I feel to say it after 8 when it gets dark, especially with older prospects. 7-9 are peak selling hours though.

Im going direct to my TL to ask him if i can get permission to do this again though, as i was doing quite well with it and theres no requirement to treat a time constraint as an objection where i work. In fact we are not allowed to treat a time constraint as an objection unless we are way into the sale.

BTW I found out for myself today the beauty of validating our identity as an objection handle. Ive read sites recommending a "need time to think about it" objection buster that went something like ADD more benefits so the customer will see value and continue. I went down the benefits list of immediate cover and it didnt work, so I just cited the customers identification number and their time with the company back to them, so they were sure i was who i said i was. After that they gave bank details without even taking a support number.

Objection - "i need time to think about it"
Answer - "your ID number is XXX and youve been with us XXX months"
Prospect - "show me the dotted line"

Sweet.

Last edited:

I didnt make the script. A BIG company did. And i agree. It does suck. (Or rather is it blunt, complaint and boring). It has to be compliant, but it doesn't have to be boring and blunt to the point of banality.

I thought about going direct and just giving minimum information to get to the questions, or perhaps jazzing up the intro with some verbal feng shui and some nlp...

Your suggestion of minimising it, isn't a bad one though.

Yep, mine came from a big ole company too. Until you get more experience simple is better.

What are you selling by the way? That blurb about "free and introductory" is awful no matter what you are selling. If you're selling the "free look", that's not good.

Also, you say they are pre-existing customers but at some point, they have to be treated as a cold call for DNC purposes. How long ago were they "previous customers"?

Always ask for permission first. Who wants to answer the phone and be steam rolled by a sales person. CLICK!

Do you have a minute?
Is it ok if I ask a few specifics? (before asking questions)

Asking for permission shows you are a professional and not a TM. It also allows the prospect to engage more with you and WANT to answer your questions more completely than if you just charge into it.

I understand it can cause people to take the power and end the call but they would have done that anyway. Its better to be polite, get them out of the way, and just move on to the ones that do want to talk.

----------

I never say how are you today?

They know you don't really care. ...you are a stranger.

Just skip that as other suggested it screams TM.

Yep, mine came from a big ole company too. Until you get more experience simple is better.

I copy pasted the script from our computer screens and then blanked out identifiers.

I want to make a better one. I do have some experience, but Im also open to suggestions. Im aware of what I cant do, because of regs. I have options, but I really need to work out the best way of wording things and then move forward. Its not hard to take a script like that and then make it better on some level.

Do you have a minute?
Is it ok if I ask a few specifics? (before asking questions)

I like this.

What are you selling by the way? That blurb about "free and introductory" is awful no matter what you are selling. If you're selling the "free look", that's not good.

Also, you say they are pre-existing customers but at some point, they have to be treated as a cold call for DNC purposes. How long ago were they "previous customers"?

They are current customers. They have given consent to be approached on offers, either wittingly or unwittingly. Essentially its an exercise in upselling.

Selling insurance. Injury cover.

Last edited:
Back