How Can I Set Qualified Appointments

I'm a firm believer in going to them...in their mind they are doing you a favor by giving you the time of day...then you want them to come to you? I understand that's how your boss wants it but IMO he is setting you up for failure.

2nd- Enough can't be said for follow-up cards. Thank you for your time, remind of appointment, kiss @ss cards WORK!!

Oh...and hand write them...

...We live in a very small remote area...

I also live in a "very small remote area". I perceive this to be a distinct advantage as opposed to a hurdle to overcome.

It should be much easier for you to call and set an appointment with them especially since they are current clients. "Country people", the kind I call everyday, are generally much more receptive agreeing to an appointment than "big city folks". That is one of the main reasons I no longer market in St. Louis and Kansas City.

Your main emphasis when you call should be to get an appointment where you go to them. Use your personality to get them to agree to let you go to them to do a review of their current insurance with the intent to make sure they are not paying too much or missing out on a plan or policy with superior benefits.

If I expected people to come to me so I could make a sale I would have had to apply for that greeters job at Wal-mart a long time ago.

Frank, I am a bit surprised you don't have the Wally World greeters handing out your business card . . .

I don't know if I led you to believe any different, but NO Mr. Williams is not setting me up for failure! The reason I haven't been going to their homes YET, is just simply because I am not licensed with a certain company that he wants me working with, which is Erie Insurnace. It was his idea to have me come on here and see where I'm going wrong, to have your take on it. He deals more with Property and Casualty.. not Life/Health... and he actually has a problem with people just stopping in and not making appts.... so in his mindset that was the way it was going to be for me, using his current clients, using his office, using his name, He thought I would have a great success! But He and I see now that's not the case. He will just have to go with me to a few homes, for "training" until Erie will license me. (Per Erie's requirements!!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Either way, the different things on here have been a help to me and I appreciate all the thoughts and ideas!

As I mentioned before, he's going to be joining me on a few of the first "home" visits that I make, how can I let them know that my "Supervisor" will be coming out with me, without leading them to believe that I'm a newbie and a green horn that doesn't know the first thing about anything! (A lot of what I'm learning now, truthfully wasn't taught in the books! It's more of a "learn by experience" deal!) ANY suggestions on what to say or how to approach them with this?

Last edited:
I have no idea if Erie is competitive or not for life insurance. I do know this. Sometimes P&C guys hire a life/health guy (or gal) to generate more revenue. (Sometimes it is also to take the heat off them from P&C carriers who want/require more life biz).

The results are not always positive.

I worked as a life/health guy in a P&C shop years ago. A match made in Hell.

They wanted me to produce life & health business only through their P&C (multi-line) carriers. Solid carriers but life & health was not their strong suit.

After several months I convinced them to let me use carriers that actually focused on life & health and . . . sales increased.

Then the owner (my contact) died and things went downhill in the agency so I split. Not sure it would have worked long term any way.

Point is, you can do what is good for Mr Williams or you can do what is right for the client. Sometimes the two are compatible, sometimes not. That is something you will have to figure out on your own.

Not being critical, just providing some insight that may prove helpful.

As I mentioned before, he's going to be joining me on a few of the first "home" visits that I make, how can I let them know that my "Supervisor" will be coming out with me, without leading them to believe that I'm a newbie and a green horn that doesn't know the first thing about anything! (A lot of what I'm learning now, truthfully wasn't taught in the books! It's more of a "learn by experience" deal!) ANY suggestions on what to say or how to approach them with this?

Don't, when you show up just introduce your self and your "supervisor" as your "partner". No reason to let the client know you are in training

... I'm up here in Smethport, PA, close to Bradford.. ..

Thanks for the reply, Jessica. Never heard of Smethport. It must be very remote. I am a big city boy located in a suburb of Philadelphia. What Frank has stated about working in remote areas is soooo true. Even if it's not too remote it is much easier to deal with country folk than those in the immediate metropolitan areas. I found from experience when I worked the Lehigh county area the folks were more friendly. As far as Erie Insurance Company goes, IMO they are a top notch, very competitive P&C company. I am not certain, but I do not believe they market Life and Health. Anyway, good luck to you!:)

Last edited:
;)
Thanks for the reply, Jessica. Never heard of Smethport. It must be very remote. I am a big city boy located in a suburb of Philadelphia. What Frank has stated about working in remote areas is soooo true. Even if it's not too remote it is much easier to deal with country folk than those in the immediate metropolitan areas. I found from experience when I worked the Lehigh county area the folks were more friendly. As far as Erie Insurance Company goes, IMO they are a top notch, very competitive P&C company. I am not certain, but I do not believe they market Life and Health. Anyway, good luck to you!:)

Yes, Smethport is a very small place, only 1 stoplight! Actually, we are only able to work online with either Dial-up or Satellite Internet connection. What you said about Erie, not sure if they market Life and Health... Health (NO) but they have very, very nice Life Products. Actually have some really nice new Products this year!

Thank you for being kind, I appreciate your support... Think about me, I will be going to my first appointment in someone's home here in the next few days. I'm EXCITED about it, Mr. Williams (my boss) admits his error about not thinking of that himself, but he will be going with me the first few times to just 'help me when I give him "the deer in headlights look!" :err:

If I may, how long have you been doing Life Insurance? Me: only about 3 weeks.

Back