How Do You Make Cold Calling Entertaining?

At first I was kind of fearful of doing it. However, after getting past the first one or two and getting more confident that you won't flub up your script and sound like a complete ***, it's actually kind of a rush. Kind of like getting past asking the girl out on a date and then having them say yes.

Cold calling/canvassing B2B, they both suck. I've learned to suck it up and do it, but it never has become "fun". I've learned to be laid back, don't take yourself too seriously, and start conversations with those willing to give you a few minutes. The interesting people you meet, getting an appointment, making a sale are all fun, but making the initial contact still sucks. That being said, it is very effective.

Just curious to those that are still cold calling this day and age for business (whether its for health, life, med supps, FE), what do you do in order to make Cold Calling fun? How do you spice it up? Put a twist on it? Tweek it?

I try to interject humor when ever possible during the phone conversation. It relaxes both the prospect and me.

I ask several health questions before I get ready to either set the appointment or move to the close if I'm selling it over the phone.

One question I ask is if they have used tobacco in the last 12 months. If I'm talking to a woman and she says, "oh my, I have never used tobacco" then I will follow with "does that mean that you finally quit chewing".

I have never had one not chuckle when I say that. I get away with saying a lot of things that most agents wouldn't try to say. I take a very relaxed approach to using the phone.

You would be amazed at how much better the rest of the conversation is. It works for me.

I did this once on a life sale.... years and years ago.... the hubby was in on it and he came up with the idea....

After the compleation of the app I said to her ok, insurance companies allow a select few certified agents to conduct the exam right here and now.... so ms client, lets start with you...due to your breast implants as indicated on the app take your shirt off, I need to make sure there are no problems.... the lady like to wee weed her pants. the husband almost fell over laughing...

of course this was a joke and she didnt do it.... but i will never forget it

Back when I was younger cold calling when the people would yell "dont call back here again" I would very politely ask "When would be a good time to call back" and they would go nuts on me......I found it very entertaining...and still do!!

Let me give you some words of wisdom...If you are cold calling, don't call late at night..

I had some guy try to cold call me after 9 pm at night....

I just don't see cold calling working like it use to.

Whenever my home phone rings, I hate it. I know if it was someone important they would be calling me on my cell phone...if they dont have my cell number then they dont matter...so most home phone calls are someone trying to sell me something...

A lot of the time, I will play tricks on them...I try and see how long I can keep them on the phone or make them think I'm crazy...I even ask them if they take food stamps sometimes...

My 2nd day of cold calling. I would find it pretty damn entertaining if I could just set one appointment!!!!!!

I setting here dreading making cold calls till I seen the postal deleivery man traipsing up the snow covered hill in sub zero tempatures delivering mail. Suddenly making cold calls didn't seem so bad.

Back