How Illegal is It to Have 2 Medsops?

A client has had plan F medsup for 7 years. He called and told me he also has been paying Bankers for a plan J for a couple years. Since he is not allowed to have 2 medsups and since he isn't sure why or now he has the Plan J he asked if there was a way he has recourse to get his money back. He is in Ohio and his Plan F has been paying any claims he has had. I will have full details on his application and policy when he finds the papers, but he wants my help/advise on what to do. Aside from telling him that a phone call to me is free, what is the best way to handle his situation?

Lmfao, I think an underwritter failed to do there job properly, and the agent as well. :goofy:

How illegal? It is sooo illegal that the penalty is 20. years to life at the Supermax in Colorado!

Another question might be posed: How pregnant must a woman be to have a baby?

Seriously.... I don't know about your state, but in KS, the state brochure on Medigaps make it plain, that you should not cancel your old policy until you have reviewed your new policy during your 30 day free look, and then goes on to say you will also have to pay both premiums for that month. In my mind, this means it is NOT illegal to have two Med Supps at the same time. It is not smart, because only one policy will pay and the law prohibits double compensation on claims paid in full... it does not make it illegal, just dumb.

You CAN have a supplemental policy (limited benefit) that will pay in addition to the comp plan. That's what those policies are designed to do: pay you cash to make up for deductibles and loss of employment income due to accident or illness. This is NOT illegal.

Last edited:
Another question might be posed: How pregnant must a woman be to have a baby?

Seriously.... I don't know about your state, but in KS, the state brochure on Medigaps make it plain, that you should not cancel your old policy until you have reviewed your new policy during your 30 day free look, and then goes on to say you will also have to pay both premiums for that month.

:swoon:

I had no Idea they could keep the old plan within the 30 day "free look" period. Thats rather interesting, but I agree it is stupid to have two. You should know what your buying before you but it.

The client should never be paying premiums for duplicate coverage. The only reason my clients ever pay two premiums in a month is because they are paying the new policy in advance. They never have overlapping or a gap in coverage.

If need be, they could not cancel the previous policy, but take off automatic bank draft. Use the grace period until they are sure they have been approved for the new Med Supp. Then, cancel old policy.
Never pay for 2 at the same time.

Back