• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

How Important is Credit Score

How important is someone's credit score when trying to become a licensed insurance agent? I was on Prudential's website and they require a background check (which is no problem) and a creidt check...( I may have a problem with that one).

Advise please!

I haven't found it to be an issue. My score was low when I came into the biz from past problems. In mid-last year the IRS hit me with a lien and although I have payment arrangements the lien still shows up on my credit which makes my score a negative 200 and I've still got appointed by several companies after that. The biggie is I don't have a BK - I think that actually matters.

Depends on whether you need annualized commissions and who is making the loan. Some carriers will appoint you for as earned only if you have a poor record of repaying creditors or if your credit report shows you are over-extended.

I had credit issues when I started in insurance and have not had any problems at all getting appointed with any company.

Haven't seen that apply to health. I got a Key Broker deal with an advance from GR and my score was trashed and just got a World MGA appointment with an advance and my score is trashed.

Unless I have some special horseshoe buried up my a** I can assure you that without a BK you can have the world's most trashed credit and get advances from every health company that offers them.

Two, maybe 3 years ago I was denied appointment by AG & Illinois Mutual due to some credit issues (no BK, just serious money issues tied to a business failure).

And for those who wonder, no I did not have a horseshoe or other foreign object in my rectum.

Back