• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

How much are your seniors spending per month on medications?

Lori B

How much does the average senior single adult (or senior couple) spend per month on meds that aren't covered by their insurance?

I always hesitate when I hear the word "covered." Many clients will think it means they pay nothing. Of course, it means: Is the item or service eligible for payment or reimbursement by the plan? So I assume we're talking deductible and co-pays vs. items truly "not covered."

I've seen the biggest improvement limiting Part D out-of-pocket costs in the last year. It gets even better in 2025 when the $2,000 cap kicks in. Going back just a few years, I've seen multiple Part D members pay $2,000 to even $5,000 a year out-of-pocket for drugs. So far for 2024 I've run about 200 Part D plan reviews with the most I've seen was client on an expensive leukemia drug called Imbruvica. It retails about $20K for 90 140 mg capsules, yet his costs for it (and all his other drugs) is capped at about $3,340 for the year!

Frankly, I don't see how this is sustainable.....but it's a wonderful thing and a real life saver (literally) for lots of folks. I've also read Part D was never actually funded and runs on fumes (borrowed money). So make hay while you can.

Back