Ideas for Short Term Production Increase, Job at Risk

Dude, you don't need to write insurance.

Bob, in my lifetime I have sold pictures (both pre-made and self made), pots and pans, insurance, and cars, all door to door (well, except for the cars), and at no time did I ever have to lie to anyone to make a sale. People don't listen to half of what they're told, anyway. They buy things because they know they need it or they see it and want it. Are you saying that honest people can't be good insurance agents?

--------------------

Oh yea...thanks for the compliment on the photography.

Last edited:
"Worn out"? Really? Bob, I was an Agency Manager (don't know what they call it now) with Allstate for 3.5 years. How many AMs, TAMs, TEMs or even RVPs did you find that were big, good producers? C'mon man.
Ah, the old "J-I-J". I know where you learned that.
Especially when calling folks on the DNC list, which he advocated. He never offered to pay the fines though.

I don't know about Frank recommending calling on the DNC list but he sure knew how to teach the right language to talk.

J-I-J:) Guilty. [Allstate].. though I was never in jeopardy for production as I was always in the top 10-15% nationwide in writing new business with Allstate.

Never been a DM or any manager for an insurance company...but I've met & had some excellent training/mentoring by guys with that title before. Ray Williamson & Dick Benitch in KY & Larry Pennington in TN to name a couple. Guys that would do anything to help you be successful.

Are there some in management that were worthless & didn't have a clue? Of course, but I am fortunate in that I never had that experience personally.

Keep on Selling with Integrity. That is the Only way to sell.

What an old worn out saying. I will agree that making one's "best" salesperson a manager usually doesn't work because they don't know how to teach and they are horrible at mentoring others. But it is also BS to say: "those that can't....teach." :1wink:

Too late for BNI/Networking for this month. That is a long term process.

Best way I can think of is 1] friends/family 2] High Quality internet leads 3] Cold calling for $$. 1 & 3 cost you personal time & 2 cost $$ & your time. Which is the best? I'd do all three.

Don't go home until you've made 200 outgoing calls or closed 2 deals. They don't issue immediately is why I say that. Plus I don't have a clue what your personality is like & if you can even close a lay-down....

Sorry to bust your bubble but I'd fire you too if all you could produce is 3 policies a week. I don't know any independent agency that would want you either with only 3 apps/week average. It is costing LM money for you to just warm a seat in the office 5 days a week. Seriously.

My producers in my Allstate/Farmers agencies had to produce 10 apps a week or they were written up as "job in jeopardy." Granted I taught them the tools they needed to be successful before I held them to that as their goal.

You are in a serious place at this moment. You have to decide do you love the insurance business and you'll get serious about being a student of the business. To apply what you learn & sell....OR, do you just hang it up & find a new career? Ask yourself: What do I want to be when I grow up? Then do what you have to do, train, go back to school or whatever it takes to accomplish your goal.

Definitely take Josh & moonlightandmargaritas up on their offers! Those leads can help.
I'm also willing to help out. If I can talk to you personally & if I feel you have what it takes, I'll give you good free leads to help you through this month also. [I can't pick a number until we talk & I know your territory. LM is a pretty highly filtered auto lead as they are most competitive if the insured has a College degree] As Frank Stastny used to say: "You have to give good phone!" If I feel you can do that & you have integrity, then I'll help you out this month on my dime. Look for a PM and/or email after I post this.

Just for the record a Farmers/Allstate agent have different policies "count" on their quota marks, hence why they have highers minimums fot their per cap of 10 apps a week.

So selling 5 policies a week at Liberty Mutual would be the equivalent of 10 at Farmers.

Farmers agents also have more types of small policies they can sell that count as a production stroke. Also Liberty pays for all your overhead, mileage reimbursment plus a 300 dollars a month allowance that they give you for marketing.

Bob, in my lifetime I have sold pictures (both pre-made and self made), pots and pans, insurance, and cars, all door to door (well, except for the cars), and at no time did I ever have to lie to anyone to make a sale. People don't listen to half of what they're told, anyway. They buy things because they know they need it or they see it and want it. Are you saying that honest people can't be good insurance agents?

--------------------

Oh yea...thanks for the compliment on the photography.

I think he was just paying you a sincere compliment.

What my suggestion was, calling 0000 accounts is not "cold" calling. The leads are warm because they already have a policy with LM just no agent because they left or got fired. Call these policyholders, introduce yourself as their new agent and cross sell those bitches. :cool:

Have your manager generate you a list.

What my suggestion was, calling 0000 accounts is not "cold" calling. The leads are warm because they already have a policy with LM just no agent because they left or got fired. Call these policyholders, introduce yourself as their new agent and cross sell those bitches. :cool:

Have your manager generate you a list.

Good call, I sent him an email yesterday and he is prepping a list for me. Very good suggestion here.

Thank you
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What an old worn out saying. I will agree that making one's "best" salesperson a manager usually doesn't work because they don't know how to teach and they are horrible at mentoring others. But it is also BS to say: "those that can't....teach." :1wink:

Too late for BNI/Networking for this month. That is a long term process.

Best way I can think of is 1] friends/family 2] High Quality internet leads 3] Cold calling for $$. 1 & 3 cost you personal time & 2 cost $$ & your time. Which is the best? I'd do all three.

Don't go home until you've made 200 outgoing calls or closed 2 deals. They don't issue immediately is why I say that. Plus I don't have a clue what your personality is like & if you can even close a lay-down....

Sorry to bust your bubble but I'd fire you too if all you could produce is 3 policies a week. I don't know any independent agency that would want you either with only 3 apps/week average. It is costing LM money for you to just warm a seat in the office 5 days a week. Seriously.

My producers in my Allstate/Farmers agencies had to produce 10 apps a week or they were written up as "job in jeopardy." Granted I taught them the tools they needed to be successful before I held them to that as their goal.

You are in a serious place at this moment. You have to decide do you love the insurance business and you'll get serious about being a student of the business. To apply what you learn & sell....OR, do you just hang it up & find a new career? Ask yourself: What do I want to be when I grow up? Then do what you have to do, train, go back to school or whatever it takes to accomplish your goal.

Definitely take Josh & moonlightandmargaritas up on their offers! Those leads can help.
I'm also willing to help out. If I can talk to you personally & if I feel you have what it takes, I'll give you good free leads to help you through this month also. [I can't pick a number until we talk & I know your territory. LM is a pretty highly filtered auto lead as they are most competitive if the insured has a College degree] As Frank Stastny used to say: "You have to give good phone!" If I feel you can do that & you have integrity, then I'll help you out this month on my dime. Look for a PM and/or email after I post this.

Bob I tried sending you a pm, but it says I have to have a minimum amount of posts of 20.

I will call you tomorrow.

Just to clarify, part of the reason I am in the position I am in right now is due to losing people close to me over the past few months.
I don't deal with death well at all.

Mentally I checked out from the job and lost all motivation.

I have re evaluated many things and am mentally strong again to give this thing my all.

Thank all of you for all the great advice/insight so far.

Last edited:
How long have you been with LM? Have you ever considered branching off and starting your own agency? Also sorry bout your life.

Last edited:
How long have you been with LM? Have you ever considered branching off and starting your own agency? Also sorry bout your life.

Counting my intern days I've been with the company for 4 years.

1 year in the Affinity Marketing side and the remaining 3 on plan in Sales.

Right now I don't have enough funds to start my own agency.
I need to have stronger relationships with more mortgage companies and other solid sources that negate the whole price aspect of the industry.

Back