• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

In Person Cold Contacting or Phone Calling?

Pandorian

I am wondering in general which has been more effective for you, going business to business cold contacting, or picking up the phone and dialing from lists?

You of course can get a lot more phone calling in, but would hoofing it when prospecting actually be more effective.

I know the best is referrals, but at the starting stage.

I have used leads, and the ones I have been getting seem about as good as just randomly opening up the white pages.

I am wondering in general which has been more effective for you, going business to business cold contacting, or picking up the phone and dialing from lists?

You of course can get a lot more phone calling in, but would hoofing it when prospecting actually be more effective.

I have used leads, and the ones I have been getting seem about as good as just randomly opening up the white pages.

Try both. Some people as Frank says give good phone, others are better in person...I know Edward Jones Reps still walk and talk and they can be very successful. Just check your state laws...Maine is kinda wacky...I is illegal to knock seniors doors but not illegal to knock anyone elses door.

As a newbie to the business as well, I've found (and been told) that a mix of all prospecting methods is generally a good idea. Don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. Generally, I beat the phones a few days per week... then while out in the field at that appointment, I'll knock on doors of other prospects in the area. That way, I make the most of my time both out in the field and on phone days.

The good thing about working this market is you can call them one month and not get a good response and visit (or call again) the next month and they have no idea you called last month. It's like starting fresh until you get a positive response.

What are you trying to sell? What type of approach: product or general? It can make a difference.

That being said, do both. For me, B2B creates the fastest sales process and seems to be about as effective as dialing. Make calls from your office each morning, while in the field between meetings, walk in. Rinse and repeat, do not over think it.

I currently prospect both ways right now. When I first started five years ago I was trained to walk and talk businesses. I have stop buying leads from the internet now because quality has decreased, and went back to basics. I write a guaranteed 2-3 apps a week just from visiting business owners. You will burn some gas from car and work through phone numbers, but its better than competing against 10 other agents for a sale. In a way the leads you generate are exclusive to you..Also what is really working for me right now is personal branding..(biz cards, polo shirts, website) If you are independent..:yes:

---------------------------------------------------
NC Health and Life Insurance for Individuals,Family, Self Employed
4 Health Coverage :: Helping You Make Informed Decisions About Your Health Insurance
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi briko3,

I will reply back to you..it seems I have to get my post miles up to 20+:1err: to send PM's..

Last edited:
I agree... Both methods of prospecting can be equally effective.

Throughout my career, prospecting by phone has proven to stand the test of time...

While you may be able to create a stronger rapport in person and experience less sales resistance, the AMOUNT of contacts I'm able to make over the phone has supplied me with enough sales leads to maintain a steady pipeline of binds.

Remember...

"the best time to prospect is when you prospect!"

Cheers!

I know that there is a "do-not-call" list in place to protect the consumer, but what about calls made to a place of business?

I prefer calling..

Medigap Medicare insurance for people turning 65 and older
Medicare supplemental insurance Golden Rule and United of Omaha Coventry and First health drug coverage for Seniors American Seniors Insurance United Health Onne Blue Cross Blue Shield Gerber life Insurance company Medicare Supplement News The latest news on Medigap insurance

Last edited:
Back