Insurance for a Student in California

Goozzi

Hello everyone, I'm new to this website, and the whole topic of insurance in United States. I came to US three years ago, I am a legal resident, an student, and a part time worker, 23 years old, with no serious condition. I have not had any health insurance during the past 3 years, but because of Obamacare, I guess I have to buy a new one till the end of the month.
Now, I am totally lost since I don't know much about the rules in this country, and I'm just starting to learn about it. Firstly, my parents do not live with me here, so I can't go under a family insurance. I have to get an individual insurance. My income is less than $10,000 a year, and I mostly live by financial aid and loans from school. I needed to know what insurance companies in CA (Los Angeles) offer affordable health insurance for a guy with my situation?! I know about Covered California, and the deadline is tomorrow...do you think that is the best I can find?!
Any help/suggestion would be much appreciated. :)
(I also suffer from deviated septum, and I know most insurance companies cover the expenses for that, so if I could get a reliable health insurance that would cover the expenses of a possible surgery in the future would be great!)

At your income level you are going to likely be eligible for Medi-Cal (California Medicaid) which would be at no premium cost to you (below 139% Federal Poverty Level).

If you are eligible for Medi-Cal then you are not eligible to receive subsidy help should you choose to purchase private health insurance on top of or instead of Medi-Cal. Just be aware of that.

Your best bet would be to contact Covered CA by phone or submit an online application for coverage and let them determine where you fit (they have the final say when it comes to Medi-Cal or subsidy coverage).

You have until today to receive coverage effective 4/1 but have until 3/31 to apply for coverage for this year with a 5/1 effective date. Medi-Cal may have retroactive options check with Covered CA.

Oh thanks, if it's going to be free, then I go for it! that's great that I have till the end of March , I don't care if it starts one month late. I can do more research.
Can you explain what subsidy help is and what it includes?! Is it like a financial help that they give to people?!( if the insurance is going to be free, I'm not going to ask for more money.)
And the last question....do you have any idea if Medi-Cal covers deviated septum?!

It all depends on where your income falls according to Covered CA.

If you are below 139% of Federal Poverty Level (right around $16k) then you qualify for the expanded Medi-Cal program which would have no monthly premium to you.

If you are above the 139% but still low, then you can get help with certain Silver plans and knows as "enhanced" silver plans. These plans have both premium tax credit you can apply towards the monthly premium and a cost-sharing credit available you can use to reduce expenses under the policy (deductibles, copayments and out of pocket maximum).

I have seen people just above the Medi-Cal threshold with very low monthly premiums with tax credit subsidy applied, sometimes under $10 per month.

Covered CA can advise you on where you fall income wise and what you are eligible to receive subsidy wise if you are above the Medi-Cal threshold.

Deviated septum is probably covered by Medi-Cal so long as repair is deemed medically necessary. Check with them once you have enrolled they can tell you the necessary steps.

I went to medi-cal office in Los Angeles a few months back, and despite having an income around $10,000, I was not qualified for insurance!!! I called them 3 months after that, and they said there were some mistakes they made and counted my income twice!!(or something like that)...anyway, they are going to look at my application again...
I do not want to go and wait a couple of more months for medi-cal. I am going to have a deviated septum surgery on my nose in mid-august, so I'm looking for another insurance company that provides a good individual health plan. My doctor said I go with Aetna, Cigna or UHC.
I was wondering which one of these insurance companies have a better cancellation policy? My doctor said I enroll in one of these health, and then after a few months or a year, cancel the plan. This way the insurance company has paid for my surgery and then I can cancel it and go back to medi-cal which is free...I asked him if it's ethical/possible and he said many people do that!!!!!!!
So is what the doctor told me possible to do? I needed some info from you professionals about which one of the companies would be a better pick for me? and which one has a better cancellation policy after a few months?
Thanks

Back