• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Insurance State Exam

WOW! The way the mid 80's sound somebody like me who graduated in 1970 is really ancient. Back in my day you learned to use a slide rule.

A slide ruler put a man on the moon. A slide ruler saved 3 lost astronauts. A computer almost cost us a trip to the moon, but his knowledge of physics saved the mission. The lack of modern calculators and computers saved 3 lost astronauts.

I don't have a clue how to use a slide ruler, but its not a bad thing to know.

Some people have reading problems like deslexia etc. I have a problem with comprehension, that is the reason I have to study two or three times harder than someone else. When I do get it all down, it pretty well stays with me from then on. I did pass my test the first time, but it took a lot of hard studying.

I feel empathetic about your problem so it pains me to tell you that you have a problem with spelling, too. The medical condition to which you refer is spelled dyslexia.

hey i did make flash cards and review the test. but im slow learner so if its nt word for word i struggle alot. i forgot stuff really quickly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
this is me even if the test is easy i have to study really hard and i have really bad memory. i can miss the same question 5 times. i mean i cant remember all stuff on book its 2 books 250 page each.

Last edited:
hey i did make flash cards and review the test. but im slow learner so if its nt word for word i struggle alot. i forgot stuff really quickly.
this is me even if the test is easy i have to study really hard and i have really bad memory. i can miss the same question 5 times. i mean i cant remember all stuff on book its 2 books 250 page each.

Then how do you expect to be able to serve as an insurance agent? If your ability to retain knowledge is that poor, how do you plan to be able to advise someone in making a pick from 20 or 30 similar products?

Go find something else to do, perhaps a trade would be more suited to your abilities and more rewarding.

Last edited:
I feel empathetic about your problem so it pains me to tell you that you have a problem with spelling, too. The medical condition to which you refer is spelled dyslexia.

Dis you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac? He laid awake at night and wondered if there really is a Dog...:D

If you want to be an insurance agent then you are going to have to commit more to the process. You know that you have to study harder than the next guy, so do it! Use the practice tests that are made available to you, buy more if you need them. Have you gone to your DOI to see what is on your test in the way of % breakdown?

I know this forum can be cruel at times but all these folks make a valid point. If you can't commit to learning the basics on the test before taking it, then how can you commit to learning your products (which are much more difficult to learn) to best serve your clients? You may want to really think about if this is the right career for you. If you aren't willing to make the commitment then walk away, but if you are willing to do what it takes then you can be sucessful. Good luck!

Back