Is 80 Years Old Too Old?

2112Greg

Guru
100+ Post Club
I am pretty sure that it is, but I have a client who has her mom moving to Texas to be with the rest of her family. She's 80 years old and in decent health. She has an asymptomatic heart issue and they are going to have her aortic and mitral valves replaced in the next 4-6 months as a preventive measure...

Are there any LTC options available for her?

I am pretty sure that it is, but I have a client who has her mom moving to Texas to be with the rest of her family. She's 80 years old and in decent health. She has an asymptomatic heart issue and they are going to have her aortic and mitral valves replaced in the next 4-6 months as a preventive measure...

Are there any LTC options available for her?

Pending surgery is a decline/postpone at any age.

A few traditional carriers will go to 80, but good luck ever getting her approved.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What if the pending procedure is purely preventive? Think there might be any consideration for that?

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I was thinking.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What if the pending procedure is purely preventive? Think there might be any consideration for that?

Come on, you sell life insurance. No one wants such an unknown risk. Things can go wrong during any procedure.

True true.

My thought was that if she opted not to have the procedure done (as it's asymptomatic), what possibility would there be of an approval. I realize this is a long shot...like a huge long shot.

Just trying to see if there is a way to make this happen, that's all...

previously posted by 2112Greg

My thought was that if she opted not to have the procedure done (as it's asymptomatic), what possibility would there be of an approval. I realize this is a long shot...like a huge long shot.

First of all, the decline rates for an 80 year old even in apparent good health is about 50%. In addition, there are only a few carriers that will consider anyone over 79 years old.

No doctor is going to put an 80 year old under major heart surgery for "preventative reasons". She obviously has a heart problem that needs to be corrected.

If she is operated on, companies will look for a waiting period of anywhere from 6-12 months post surgery. If she requires re-hab after surgery (most likely) you're looking at 6 months once her rehab ends.

And, if she does require surgery, why would she consider putting it off just to purchase a LTC policy?

Her present valve problems would make her an automatic decline, regardless of whatever else is going on.

IMO, her chances of getting a policy, either before or after surgery is slim to none, with heavy emphasis on the word "none".

Just my 2 cents

She's 80 years old and in decent health

Decent health...other than she has a heart condition where 2 valves are going to be replaced.

I usually hear this I'm in decent health right after "I have just a touch of congestive heart failure" or MS, etc., etc.

She has an asymptomatic heart issue and they are going to have her aortic and mitral valves replaced in the next 4-6 months as a preventive measure...

So no symptoms but hey, lets replace those valves just to prevent something???.

Last edited:
Yea, I've heard it all before, too. The best one was after I asked about her overall health, she said, "Oh, I'm fine. No problems. Oh wait, I was diagnosed with emphysema."

After I picked the phone up off the floor, I politely ended the conversation.

The daughter here is a good client, so I'm taking her at her word. I want to do whatever I can for her and her mom, but it's just not in the cards.

Thanks for your help, ladies and germs (not sure if any ladies responded, but just in case).

Might be best to level with them so they can plan another route. I understand the good client part and wanting to help, but she's a walking claim within months. Nobody's going to touch her.

I'm actually surprised, well I guess not, it's America after all... that an 80 year old is in line for heart valve replacement. Gotta be 250k to 500k to do.

Latest posts

Back