Is Medicare.gov Plan Finder Working for You/r Area?

Do you guys think the kinks are worked out? I ran one today with Cymbalta. I know it went generic, but the cheapest I can find is $400/month. That's out of control.

Maybe no one wants to cover it with the generic available. Without looking I think it's Duloxetine

Its not Medicare.gov being stupid.

I didn't say that. There is plenty of room for stupid on that site, and this year seems to be afflicted with the same issues as goodluck.gov

Do you guys think the kinks are worked out?

I ran one today with Cymbalta. I know it went generic, but the cheapest I can find is $400/month. That's out of control.

That's probably right for Cymbalta like how the other brand names that recently went generic were intially very high cost.i.e. lipitor,plavix

In Florida I figure that if one of the PDP carriers has lower prices at a "preferred pharmacy" it'S going to be with either CVS, Walgreens or Walmart so when I run a formulary finder I first run the pharmacy of preference of the client and Walmart as the 2 pharmacies at a time that medicare.gov plan finder allows then I run it again with walgreens and CVS pharmacies.If you don't do this you are not really giving the client full disclosure if they are looking for the absolute lowest cost and don't mind changing pharmacies.

That's probably right for Cymbalta like how the other brand names that recently went generic were intially very high cost.i.e. lipitor,plavix

In Florida I figure that if one of the PDP carriers has lower prices at a "preferred pharmacy" it'S going to be with either CVS, Walgreens or Walmart so when I run a formulary finder I first run the pharmacy of preference of the client and Walmart as the 2 pharmacies at a time that medicare.gov plan finder allows then I run it again with walgreens and CVS pharmacies.If you don't do this you are not really giving the client full disclosure if they are looking for the absolute lowest cost and don't mind changing pharmacies.

Well. Thanks.

I won't even mention that the pharmacy reimbursement contracts from highest to lowest are:

CVS
Walgreens
Independent
Grocery Stores
Costco
Walmart...on generics

If you aren't using a grocery store, you are screwing it up.

You guys go crazy with that site, esp with all the talk about value selling v price. I'd bet a large % of the people that say they want to switch pharmacies to save that extra $ never do. Also, you really think United American will be competitive next year (see Wellcare in MO).

I am finding my clients are tired of this game and it becomes completely redundant to shop someone's rx every single year when some carriers are consistently in the top 5 year in and year out. I live on that site like all of you this time of year but I feel like we are doing this to ourselves by micromanaging a persons part D plan year in and year out.

If you aren't using a grocery store, you are screwing it up.

Good to know. I suspected such but never looked into it.

Just learned this week that Publix (grocery) provides free Metformin and Lisinopril. It has been a long time since I looked at the cheap generic lists by store, probably time to update it.

Any idea of other pharmacy's with free med's?

I am finding my clients are tired of this game and it becomes completely redundant to shop someone's rx every single year when some carriers are consistently in the top 5 year in and year out. I live on that site like all of you this time of year but I feel like we are doing this to ourselves by micromanaging a persons part D plan year in and year out.

UHC and Humana seem to flip flop for the lowest premium, but that is only part of the story. The real cost is the Rx figure.

Ran numbers for a client a few days ago and sent them over for review. He called the next day and said he wanted to put his wife on the same Humana plan he has since is was $10/mo cheaper.

Let me call you back .........

10 minutes later after calling up his wife's list and comparing the COST with Humana (@ $15) vs Cigna ($25) and told him, yes, you can save $10/mo by putting her on the same plan you have as long as you are willing to pay an extra $800/yr for her med's.

Exactly. I don't sell Part D. Or MA.

This is a service I provide to my clients during open enrollment. For about 50% of them, its less than a $100/year difference and they don't care and we don't switch.

For some, there can be massive shifts, due to prescription changes.

For those hitting the donut hole, its critical.

The reason this gets done every year is because the following factors affect a seniors annual drug costs:

Contracts between:

1. Drug manufacturers and pharmacies
2. Drug manufacturers and insurance companies (rebates are what drive the formulary)
3. Pharmacies and Prescription Benefit Management Companies (PBM's)
4. PBM's and Insurance Companies

Chances are ONE of these will change in the year and affect your clients overrall cost.

With regards to why there is always one "cheap" plan, there are 2 reasons. They are trying to pad their enrollment numbers prior to a buy-out. Ex: RX America, Silver Script, WellCare. Also, the statistics show that once a senior buys a Part D plan, 75-80% never switch.

Back