It's doorhanger season!

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Just starting to get into the 60's here which means one thing for me - time to break out the doorhangers. (See mine attatched.)

I've been using them for years and they work. You can go to http://doorhangers.com and 10,000 single-sided hangers are $290 which includes shipping. That's 2.9 cents a pop.

I put them out in townhouse neighborhoods because I can slap up 200 in an hour easily. I return .05% (yep, half of 1%) but the closing ration on them is 1 out of 5 because the only people who resond have very high interest.

I get my lazy butt out there for 1 hour a day (which is nice excercise) and get up 1,000 a week. That's only 5 leads but 1 deal. And when the averge deal gets me $800 in commish I'll definitely take $800 for 5 hours of work. Even if it only got me 2 deals a month I'll take the extra $1,600. I put them up in morning when before I contact clients anyway.

You can also farm this out and pay kids $8/hr to slap them up but it's not without headaches:

Math in theory:
Pay a kid $8 per hour for three hours X 5 days = $120 per week
200 per hour placed = 3,000
15 leads returned for 3 deals = $2,400 gross

Sounds good? No here are some headaches:
*You need a very hard-working dependable kid. Good luck
*You need pre-scouted territory since you can't hit no soliciting areas
*You need days where no rain or high wind are forecasted

Saying that, I do indeed hire one kid per season and it works out.

Attachments

• Doorhanger August 2006.pdf
    174.3 KB · Views: 161
Do you think having multiple products such as health, life & med.supp on a door hanger would increase response rates ?

That I don't know. And I do need to point out that I'm only stating numbers based on individual health insurance. I've never heard of anyone trying them for other products. All I know is on a nice Saturday when we come home from a day out there's about 4 of 'em on our door - normally house cleaning, home improvements, decks, power washing or lawn services. I think they all work in mass quantities.

Exactly. And that actually accentuates why postcard mailers are so tough. Same return, but instead of 3 cents a pop they're 50 cents. 1,000 hangers cost me $30. 1,000 postcards is $500. Quite a difference. Also, postcards come lumped in the mail - easy to toss. But you have to read the darned doorhangers.

They do work, if you are on a budget and cannot afford even the hangers, just make up a flyer and leave em' in the screen door.

Bottom line is they have to read them even it it's only on the way to the trash can.

I've done marketing this way for the school and we've gotten almost 40% of our new students off this method.

The hangers at 3 cents a pop are actually cheaper than flyers. Flyers cost around 5 cents a pop to print plus you have to buy the paper.

And you're right - a great way to get off the ground for an extremely small amount of money if you don't mind physical labor and abhor cold calling. You could work 3 hours a day, get 3,000 a week and three deals.

But don't be fooled - 3 hours of putting up doorhangers is tough. You need to be in shape.

Last edited:
The hangers at 3 cents a pop are actually cheaper than flyers. Flyers cost around 5 cents a pop to print plus you have to buy the paper.

And you're right - a great way to get off the ground for an extremely small amount of money if you don't mind physical labor and abhor cold calling. You could work 3 hours a day, get 3,000 a week and three deals.

But don't be fooled - 3 hours of putting up doorhangers is tough. You need to be in shape.

Yeah but for a pair of devil dogs it should be gravy street!:biggrin:

Besides, if someone has trouble walking for a few hours a week, they should start doing something to work up to that anyway.....
(usaul disclaimers about seeking a physicians advice apply)

BTW, do you remember way back in ITB when you had to hump up what they called Mount Mother%$&* with the 80 lb pack and extra gear?

I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest!:twitchy:

Your ITB was my SOI (school of infantry) at Camp Geiger. And yes, it was indeed an 80 pound pack.

I personally enjoy the doorhangers since it nice for a change to actually have clients call me. In fact, I like the doorhangers so much I planned out just what it would take to get 1,000 up per day and just do 5 deals a week - call it a life.

Almost can't be done, which is sad. Just scouting areas for the kids would be a full time job.

My first political job was as a Field Coordinator for a primary candidate in central Texas. Though this did entail managerial work anytime I had nothing else to do I hit the streets and hung up door hangers. My legs would be on fire at the end of the day sometimes (6-8 hrs will do that to you) but it really helped to work off that college beer gut!

Back