Just saw my first scrambled Medicare id # for 6.1.18

It's like the phone companies... the best deals are for those who are new enrollees. If you've been with them the last 18 years, they are just waiting for your to die.
Cable and internet companies are bad about that too.

They have to send the newly eligible their Medicare Claim Cards 1st...because they don't have one. The people that already have one can still use their current card for 18 months.

Last edited:
Cable and internet companies are bad about that too.

They have to send the newly eligible their Medicare Claim Cards 1st...because they don't have one. The people that already have one can still use their current card for 18 months.

Strange things medicare cards. I met so many seniors who wouldn't dare carry their SS card, but always kept their medicare card right next to their med sup/ advantage card in their wallet or purse?

Guess they thought that the letter at the end somehow disguised everything.

That reminds me of the lady who was on her 4th husband and he had recently passed... that was a strange card number.:yes:

on her 4th husband

First three die from eating poison mushrooms?

Consumer advocates like Clark Howard make a big deal about guarding your SSN which is hyperbole more than anything else. SSN's sell for about $1 on the dark web. Credit cards go for $5 to $15 depending on how much info is provided.

Medicare card numbers start around $20 and can go higher depending on how much other data is available. Throw in medical records and thieves will pay upwards of $1000.

Medicare fraud is much easier than most other types since Medicare is NOT pro-active in protecting against false medical claims.

Us agents are going to have a much difficult time in a couple years working with folks that don't carry their new Medicare cards, or have already lost them. It was pretty straight forward to use the SS# and with the A as the suffix. That worked in most cases. We will be needing to make a lot more calls to Medicare once they are no longer allowed to use their SS #. in 2020.

Us agents are going to have a much difficult time in a couple years working with folks that don't carry their new Medicare cards, or have already lost them. It was pretty straight forward to use the SS# and with the A as the suffix. That worked in most cases. We will be needing to make a lot more calls to Medicare once they are no longer allowed to use their SS #. in 2020.

Insurance companies might start opening up their phone lines to check Medicare #’s.
I was just remembering that a company here in Florida called Freedom, let’s you call to check Medicare and Medicaid numbers. They pick up usually immediately with a live person.

Insurance companies might start opening up their phone lines to check Medicare #’s.
I was just remembering that a company here in Florida called Freedom, let’s you call to check Medicare and Medicaid numbers. They pick up usually immediately with a live person.
I'd hate to call in to a company and have a dead person answer the phone. :twitchy:

Latest posts

Back