Kidney Transplant

Good question-I've lost 3 of my largest accounts (2 went out of biz-1 went with another agent) in 1 yr last yr that accounted for almost 1/2 my income (we write large accounts). Bad year/Bad timing (especially since I was sick and wasn't aggressively chasing new biz to replace) as I've only lost 1 other account in prolly 15 yrs, these all came at once.
Between that, and our agency reducing commissions/taking away commissions I'm thinking its would be a good time to focus on another line of biz. I'm going to continue to renew my commercial accounts so I have some income as I know MC can be tough to make a living in the first cpl yrs.
I like MC because of the prospecting (I spend 85% of my time currently on the phone prospecting for commercial accounts and getting more and more difficult to produce results from my efforts) and the fact I will own my book (do not currently own my book-can purchase it but it's not really a good deal for me).
MC is going to be a lot different-with commercial if I pop an acct or two (or even one good size one) a yr I can add I can add 30K or so to my already renewal income-I know with MC it will take 100 plus to do that-but I can talk to way more buyers.
I look forward to the challenge.

OK, then you get it. Medicare (and health insurance, in general) are a nice monthly check. Go for it!

And sorry about the 3 account! I've been there with group and its a disaster!

EXCEPT when you go on dialysis. Dialysis puts you on Medicare the first of the month when you receive treatment.

OP...another thing to consider. The American Kidney Foundation often pays the premium for your supplement. You might need to look into that option before making a decision.

And if you get a transplant and are removed from Medicare, then you go back to Molina. Its an SEP for the marketplace and not a big deal to get reinstated.

I was lucky enough to never have to go on Dialysis-I was staying steady at Stage 4 (GFR from 17-21) and my cousin was the first tested, and she matched, and had the ability (time off work ect) and the want to do it-I AM VERY BLESSED.
I make too much $ to qualify for any assistance.
I "believe" you qualify for MC is you have ESRD, or if you've just had a transplant, from what they told me. So I could go on MC for 3 yrs since (or could of-not sure what the time frame is) I had my X-plant on Dec 4th.

Last edited:
And thx everyone for all the great advice/info-makes me feel better about sticking with Molina (some have told me I made a big mistake). They've actually been pretty good paying my claim (they don't pay for donors-but St Lukes had a program for that) and for my meds, and real good with CS through all this, to my surprise. I do know about the small Networks (when I had to do a Colonoscopy they had 2 Drs in Houston (seriously 2) for that, lol)-but all my Kidney stuff has been with St Lukes and my ongoing treatment as well with them-hasn't been a problem, as of yet.

OP, Is your commercial ins a group plan through your employer or spouse? If so you'll probably want to keep it. If it is an individual ACA plan and you get Medicare, you'll have to drop the ACA plan.

If your planning on getting long term social security disability, they will automatically enroll you in medicare part A after 24 months of disability payments.

I have an Molina ACA plan, I do have an option of going on the group plan at work (even mid term as I'm 1099'd now-they'd put me as W2 to put me on their plan and I'd qualify for SEP I believe). I'd lose some commission so it's financially better for me (plus I think they'd like to keep me off their group plan with my high costs drugs I'll be on for life) to stay as it is, but it's good to know it's an option "if needed".
I didn't go on SS when I was sick (nice thing about the ins business-renewals) and do not plan to in the future as I plan to be healthy for future..

If you were to go onto Medicare, your immunosuppressive drugs would not be covered under part B since your transplant was not covered under Medicare. They would be covered under part D.

Back