Leaving Ind'l Sales - Going to Group

ibjmnct22

Hi all, built up a nice renewal stream ($7k / month) of ind'l clients and with all the commission cuts and u/w hassles decided to pursue new career in group sales. Have a reputable firm willing to start me at salary + comm and wondering what people think about the long term outlook for group sales.

Yeah, it's not. Might want to look at another option, as group is under as much fire as individual.

Hi all, built up a nice renewal stream ($7k / month) of ind'l clients and with all the commission cuts and u/w hassles decided to pursue new career in group sales. Have a reputable firm willing to start me at salary + comm and wondering what people think about the long term outlook for group sales.

Personal opinion: small group is likely going to suffer, large group should stick around. Caveot: I could be completely wrong.

I disagree somewhat with the previous statements regarding group. Yes, it is under attack and yes commissions will be reduced/eliminated. This will lead to; 1) smaller market of group clients, 2) fewer agents/brokers working in the market, and 3) of those agents/brokers working, they will be the better of the bunch.

That said, there will be a demand for group sales, both medical and non-medical coverages, including retirement. On the medical side, which generates significant income, you will need to have self-funding in your portfolio otherwise it will become very difficult to make a good living.

Good luck with your decision.

thanks.......always been a big fan of self funding so will look to bring that option to the table when it's a good fit.

You should Be Excited to have your Renewals at 7k+!!!!!

Next Like i stated in another post Premiums are going up and Commissions are being cut. So my advice is to diversify your income stream, meaning the Products/Services that you sell.

Last edited:
Back