• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Let's Talk About Hand-Delivering Policies

I think if you look back at how insurance was ran in the 1900's through the 1950's you will find some important information on how insurance was handled. Those days agents where not frowned upon or thought of as snake oil salesmen. One of the most important ingredients of the agent back then was to be a part of the community. Delivering policies and explaining things was automatic and required. I am not saying there wasn't bad agents back then, they just didn't have a bad rap and could be trusted.

I believe we need to return to those days and I will continue to strive for that. Jd Easy and Rearden made some important points along with others in this thread. Most IMo's stress any type of service for them it is in there best interest to service for %.

As the market changes, people don't.

All imho..

More fuel for this thread. I called a guy yesterday to tell him he was approved and I would be calling him when I got the policy to set up a time to deliver it. he said that he wanted me to come when his wife was there so we could talk about a policy for her. That one wasn't a big surprise because he had mentioned it before.

Today I called a guy to tell him he was approved and would be calling when I got the policy. He said to give myself plenty of time because he wanted his daughter and 2 grandchildren there when I dropped it off so that he could take out coverage on all of them.

^^These are pretty common occurances since I went back to hand delivering policies this summer.

More fuel for this thread. I called a guy yesterday to tell him he was approved and I would be calling him when I got the policy to set up a time to deliver it. he said that he wanted me to come when his wife was there so we could talk about a policy for her. That one wasn't a big surprise because he had mentioned it before.

Today I called a guy to tell him he was approved and would be calling when I got the policy. He said to give myself plenty of time because he wanted his daughter and 2 grandchildren there when I dropped it off so that he could take out coverage on all of them.

^^These are pretty common occurances since I went back to hand delivering policies this summer.

But it is a waste of time, you could be seeing people that may be will buy. :1wink:

In my experience it has never hurt to have myself or one of my agents that I have trained or manage have a method and process for dropping off policies in a timely manner. When I see a persistency issue arise, my first question is always, "Did you deliver the policy?" The only exception is if the client is not local. At that point I tell them that if it were a client you prospected, your efforts would be better served closer to home.

I always use delivering the policy as an opportunity to solidify (and add to) the trust the client has in me. For example I'll go over the policy and point my finger to where it says what plan they have and say..."I always show my clients that what you're getting is exactly what I told you you're getting." I also go over the non-forfeiture table and tell them to never toss a policy away and show that if they were to have to drop the policy, in say...10 years, that it will still be good for years beyond that. Not that I want them to but I hope they're thinking to themselves..."wow, I never knew that, this guy is a keeper."

This is also a good time to have them put your number in their contacts listing on their cell phone. Every time they look someone else up to call they'll see me and think..."insurance".

On my way out I'll say "call me anytime if you have any questions...or better yet, if you know someone that needs my help....not 3am in the morning, but you know what I mean..." They'll laugh at that and remember that they had a fun, positive meeting with you.

I always use delivering the policy as an opportunity to solidify (and add to) the trust the client has in me. For example I'll go over the policy and point my finger to where it says what plan they have and say..."I always show my clients that what you're getting is exactly what I told you you're getting." I also go over the non-forfeiture table and tell them to never toss a policy away and show that if they were to have to drop the policy, in say...10 years, that it will still be good for years beyond that. Not that I want them to but I hope they're thinking to themselves..."wow, I never knew that, this guy is a keeper."

This is also a good time to have them put your number in their contacts listing on their cell phone. Every time they look someone else up to call they'll see me and think..."insurance".

On my way out I'll say "call me anytime if you have any questions...or better yet, if you know someone that needs my help....not 3am in the morning, but you know what I mean..." They'll laugh at that and remember that they had a fun, positive meeting with you.

I also use SoC and with my numbers I add, "call anytime". I have an 81 year old client in Evansville, In that has her med sup and her life insurance with me. She takes the "anytime" literally.:D

I also use SoC and with my numbers I add, "call anytime". I have an 81 year old client in Evansville, In that has her med sup and her life insurance with me. She takes the "anytime" literally.:D

JD, whats your SOC schedule/campaign?

I send 1 right after issue, 1 on Bday 1 near Xmas & 1 on 1yr anniv....and Ill call or stop by all of them about 3mos after sale! But ALL of my policies are sent directly to client!

That's why I use a Google Voice number to forward to my real cell number. You can set up a voicemail schedule and even for specific numbers. Yes, I'm a geek....so sue me.:laugh:

JD, whats your SOC schedule/campaign?

I send 1 right after issue, 1 on Bday 1 near Xmas & 1 on 1yr anniv....and Ill call or stop by all of them about 3mos after sale! But ALL of my policies are sent directly to client!

When I get in from a day of appointments I send a thank you card to every buyer and a nice to have met you card to every non buyer.

My med sup clients get scheduled for a birthday card.

When I get in from a day of appointments I send a thank you card to every buyer and a nice to have met you card to every non buyer.

My med sup clients get scheduled for a birthday card.

Do you use something like send out card or do you do it yourself?

Back