Loss Run Requests

I just want to point out your mistake so you ease up on giving people advice on issues you don't understand. It can be dangerous, and harmful especially if you are doing it with clients. That's my real concern. You should take a break from advising, and do some studying.

Here are several examples, but this is stuff you really should know already after 35 years.

2014 Oklahoma Statutes :: Title 36. Insurance :: §36-1204.1. Availability of loss runs and claims histories.
California Code, Insurance Code - INS § 679.7 | FindLaw

Loss Runs Explained - Southern States Insurance
Commercial Loss Run Procurement Service

Two states is not "most states" and while I stand corrected that some states have such a law, Pennsylvania (wornout's location) doesn't appear to have one:

Pennsylvania Code

California law requires that agents respond to such requests within 10 business days. It is the Insurer's duty to a furnish premium and loss history report within 10 days after written request, a commercial liability insurer must provide its insured with a premium and loss history report for the policy's tenure or the preceding three-year period if shorter. Such request may be made either upon receipt of the insurer's notice of non renewal or cancellation, or within 60 days before the policy's renewal date. (Ins.C. § 679.7) If you do not receive your loss runs on time, you should send a second request, then perhaps you could file a complaint with the Department of Insurance citing sections 12950, 12951 and 12953 of the Insurance Code.

I am only an Agent in California but I found this by googling the phrase "law about providing loss runs" and adding California. It's common courtesy to get them done as expeditious as possible but not a requirement but I recommend that you follow the laws in your state.

Hello! I have a prospect who has requested loss runs from current agent 3 times, in writing. The agent is refusing because the agency claims the insured owes them from an outstanding invoice. Is this acceptable? She also called the carrier directly and was referred back to the agent. The client says the fees are for certificates not premium. Can you withhold loss runs?
That is correct... pony up the money or no loss runs. That’s how it works in Florida with workers comp.

Back