LTC with Mass Mutual

shooter

Guru
100+ Post Club
It seems a lot of carriers are making an exit in this market.
Does anyone on this board use Mass for your LTC company?
I have read their product is very strong in language.
I don't know about their pricing.
Looking for input from someone with experience.

Shooter

Just got word from another agent who works for State Farm regarding John Hancock LTC. He said they were sent a letter that JH would drop 50% of their distribution network by December and would stop accepting new apps by April of 2012. I have known this agent for some time, so I don't have a reason to doubt him. I know companies are trying to hold off on LTC policies because people keep them and use them.

Has anyone else heard this?? I don't write much LTC, but I do have some thru JH. Obviously others are leaving this market. I thought JH was one of the big writers.

Shooter

I will write them at times. MM is a A++ rated carrier....decent plan at a decent rate. Promise of dividends one day......and never raised their rates (yet) 3rd pool shared concept.........but in some situations they will compete with Genworth/MoO in terms of rates. One of the few big names with a facilities ONLY plan.....if that floats your boat.

Hope that helps.......

Yankee

I will write them at times. MM is a A++ rated carrier....decent plan at a decent rate. Promise of dividends one day......and never raised their rates (yet) 3rd pool shared concept.........but in some situations they will compete with Genworth/MoO in terms of rates. One of the few big names with a facilities ONLY plan.....if that floats your boat.

Hope that helps.......

Yankee

What is the "3rd pool, shared concept" with MM? (the typical pool of money I assume)

What ages are they competitive at?

Last edited:

Shooter

Find CFP83 he's should be able to give you a lot of insight on this.

What is the "3rd pool, shared concept" with MM? (the typical pool of money I assume)

It is a third pool of money. You exhaust your benefit then you can tap into that. It leaves the spouse's benefit pool alone.

Third pool was correctly answered......else I thought every independent LTC agent worth their salt used Straticision.......can you not quote it (and everyone else for that matter)? I can hardly remember when I last used a carrier's software to quote stuff....although UoU sure has pretty software.

Hope that helps.......

Yankee

Thanks for the info.
Are there any other carriers you would use that have an A plus rating?

Thanks again,
Shooter

Thanks for the info.
Are there any other carriers you would use that have an A plus rating?

Thanks again,
Shooter

Lots have A+, few worth dealing with are A++.

MoO, UoO, JH, Pru...to name a few, are A+, but there are others. I think TransAmerica made it back to A+ the last time I looked.

Genworth is not going anywhere...and they are rated A. When was A = excellent a bad thing? AIG was A+ and then declared bankruptcy. MetLife was A+ and exited the business......Berkshire/Guardian was/is A+ and is exiting.

Maybe AM Best ratings are pretty useless come to think of it. Maybe all you need is a carrier that actually gives a crap about the LTC business. MedAmerica is B-? They appear committed. Genworth and Mutual of Omaha sure appear committed. Hancock does not appear committed to anything but getting out of the LTC business,

You only get to be A+ by having a huge life/annuity business anyway. LTC, being a health product, only hurts.,

Back