Mac Vs Windows Showdown

YouGotMyMoney

Guru
5000 Post Club
Ok, I'd like honest feedback.

I am kind of sick and tired of Windows, and have heard only good things about Apple/Macs.

The MacPro laptops is probably the route I would want to go.

For anyone who uses an Apple computer, is it really better than Windows....less crashes---more stable operating system?, you can still run windows through that program (parallels?)...

I find these discussions humorous. My wife has had a Mac for about 2 1/2 years and absolutely loves it. She thinks its the greatest thing.

If your windows computer had half of the problems that her Mac has, she would have tossed it out the window a year and a half ago.

Then there are the people who love macs because they can run windows on their mac. I can do that for a whole lot less :)

Macs definitely have their place in life. I just always find the discussions not based on reality, but on a personal bias (which is fair enough). In todays technology, there isn't as much a difference as there was years ago. Macs are 'cool' and have a 'cool' factor, but you pay dearly for it.

Dan

MAC prices reflect a very clever marketing campaign attached a social stigma that MAC owners are "better" than PC owners.

But that's where it ends...marketing. Beyond that if you want to plop down $1,500 for a MAC laptop, I'm sure Steve Jobs would appreciate it.

I converted about 3 years ago and helped convert my brother-in-law about 6 months ago. I'll never look back. I bought my second pro about 4 months ago and LOVE the 7 hour battery life. The real trick to using a mac is making sure you get used to it and use the hot corners and spaces. Even on a 13" screen I feel like I have 10 times the usable space because everything is so easy to access. I also do have it setup with 4 separate desktop screens using a single screen (I move my pointer to the bottom left corner and it shows me the 4 different screens for me to click on the one I want to work on). It can handle at least 16, but I'm not even add enough to need that.

My first pro was a 15" I bought close to 3 years ago and I have yet to have any real issues with it.

The downside of having a mac is that there are carriers that are punks about requiring you to use I.E. and there is no I.E. version for mac current enough to do most things. I bought a separate laptop for $400 that is running windows7 for just that purpose. That's basically only a machine for taking apps or doing certifications. You can run parallels and from what I've heard that runs like a dream, but you still need to buy it and windows which can get a bit pricey.

Bottom line is that with the exception of any time I have to use internet explorer for a carrier/certification, I absolutely love and adore my mac. When I do have to use a PC I feel like I'm stepping back 8 years in technology and everything is more difficult than it should be.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MAC prices reflect a very clever marketing campaign attached a social stigma that MAC owners are "better" than PC owners.

But that's where it ends...marketing.

I have to call BS on this. John, you're comparing apples to potatoes when you're comparing a mac to a PC. There are HUGE differences between the two. HUGE! Not just marketing. Aside from the fact they are more stable and efficient, I can't even configure my PC interface to work anything like my Mac. If you are ever doing more than one thing at a time or have to change from screens that alone would be a reason to switch to a mac.

Last edited:
Sorry but I know far too many people; friends of family who moved to MAC and right back to PC.

You're the typical rabid MAC drone. Let's compare. I have a PC laptop. In the morning I:

Turn it on. Get online and hit a few news site. Pull up my docs and spreadsheet and go to work. Done.

Ok, now you go. Dazzle me with how much better a MAC would do that...except probably a quarter of what I do each day (Camtasia vids for one - web conferencing for another) are a complete nightmare on a MAC.

But here's a popular conversation:

Me: "Are you in my conference and see "that" application?"

Them: "No, I can't get in for some reason"

Me: "sigh - you must have a MAC"

Them: "sigh - yes....I do."

Me: "Do you have a PC available so we can actually get through this"

Last edited:
I'm one of the few (but growing?) agents in the country who runs an insurance agency (a tiny one!) on the Apple platform.

For documents and spreadsheets and PPT I use the free Neo Office (a Mac version of Open Office) but lots of people by Office for the Mac.

I use Mac versions of FireFox and Chrome for the web.

I use the Mac mail program which works fine for me.

I use iChat for instant messaging and Skype for video link.

I use PDFPen for messing with PDF files.

I use Transmit for FTP (but there are some free programs as well)

The Mac has an excellent (built in) calendar and address book.

Of course it has a ton of other stuff... iTunes, iPhoto, Garage Band, Quicktime... ect.

I especially like the auto-backup program called Time Machine.

I run WinXP with Parallels so I can run Ohio National and Principal quote engines. I"ve run Back-Office Tech on it as well as some other large-integrated financial analysis packages. They run and print fine. I use IE for some websites that require it (only a couple that I know of... the LIMRA money-laundry certification is one I remember.)

There is nothing I NEED TO DO that I can't do on the Mac.

But please understand that I am NOT PREACHING here. Not once have I said the Mac is "better" than the PC. That is a personal determination that each person makes and I don't feel called upon to convince anyone of anything.

I've said for years here... use the platform that you like the best... PC, Linux, Apple. There is no better or best... it's all about what you like using.

I like Apple because everything "just works" with it... my iPhone, my iPad, my iPod, my Airport hard-drive/router combo, my printer/scanner, my camera, my GPS, and... the thing never crashes (I leave it up 24/7.) Finally, I like the customer service I've received (I buy their insurance... Apple Care) when I've had problems.

Attached is a snapshot of my desk.

YMMV.

Al
Find me here.

Attachments

• IMG_0262-4.jpg
    IMG_0262-4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 42
.....I bought my second pro about 4 months ago and LOVE the 7 hour battery life......

These are the kind of comments that always crack me up about Mac users. I guess I could get a smaller battery for my PC and only have 7 hours of battery life, but why would I love to do that?

Yes, a few years ago, batteries didn't last that long, but battery technology has grown and processors have become more efficient. This is true on both PC's and Macs.

Dan

I'll be here waiting for anyone to tell me what their MAC can do that my $300 PC can't. I'm looking for a new computer now because I want touch screen technology.

Now...I'd gladly take a look at MAC's touch screen computer but I'm not sure they make one. If they did, I'd probably have to refi my house to buy it.

Back