• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Medicare Cold Call Scenarios

Think about it. How many of you have purchased Life Insurance, Health Insurance or Long Term Care Insurance from someone who came knocking on your door?

As I'm sure Frank will attest to, these people need to KNOW you before they TRUST you enough to WORK with you.

Again, we are smarter than CMS. If you want to work this market, you need to do it all throughout the year, and not just November through March. Doing so will take you off the CMS radar, and you won't have to worry about CMS regulations.

WHAT? I WONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT CMS?

Tell me, do you worry about the DOI when selling Health Insurance, or FINRA when selling Variable Annuities?

Bottom line is, if you run your business as you should, CMS should be nothing to you other than three letters.

I got no problems documenting my work, so I don't wind up on the wrong end of a law suit. No E&O claims for 12 years, and that's the way I want to keep it.

Think about it. How many of you have purchased Life Insurance, Health Insurance or Long Term Care Insurance from someone who came knocking on your door?

As I'm sure Frank will attest to, these people need to KNOW you before they TRUST you enough to WORK with you.

Again, we are smarter than CMS. If you want to work this market, you need to do it all throughout the year, and not just November through March. Doing so will take you off the CMS radar, and you won't have to worry about CMS regulations.

Spot on, on all accounts.

There is no substitute for TRUST. That is why I tell agents I do not sell insurance. I would probably be a miserable failure if all I did is try to sell insurance. I educate my prospect about Medicare and Medicare Supplement insurance and sell myself. It is a lot easier to sell me because it is the one thing that I am the undisputed expert on. :)

Heck yes I did!! I don't know about you, but in my state, recording a conversation is perfectly legal, as long as one party consents to the recording, and as long as you (the one making the call) is a part of the call.

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

So if you're in one of those states, proceed at your own risk.

But I absolutely feel it's appropriate, if legal, to record conversations when you're dealing with MA.

I record ALL of my phone calls.

I just cannot, in good faith, certify again this year for the MA's. The logic I don't understand is the inclusion of Part D into the certification/oversight process. It is a natural progression from any supplement to prescription coverage. Be that as it may, I am just not willing to take any of the risks associated with MA's-- including sanctions, undue compliance, double standards and incomplete commission payout. The experts on this forum are talking, and I continue to listen.

I just cannot, in good faith, certify again this year for the MA's. The logic I don't understand is the inclusion of Part D into the certification/oversight process. It is a natural progression from any supplement to prescription coverage. Be that as it may, I am just not willing to take any of the risks associated with MA's-- including sanctions, undue compliance, double standards and incomplete commission payout. The experts on this forum are talking, and I continue to listen.

Amen. I made that decision last year.

I don't think anything anyone could say would change my mind.

Spot on, on all accounts.

There is no substitute for TRUST. That is why I tell agents I do not sell insurance. I would probably be a miserable failure if all I did is try to sell insurance. I educate my prospect about Medicare and Medicare Supplement insurance and sell myself. It is a lot easier to sell me because it is the one thing that I am the undisputed expert on. :)

Frank, my biggest problem is that I can't get along with me.

Frank,
That is interesting to me as a new agent, that you do not tell the people that you are with that you sell insurance? What do you tell them then? Also, not because I am opposed to it, but I have not made a cold call? I am very new to all of this and basically get no training. (I know, I need to call you!) I see others make cold calls? I just am wondering do you do this on any street or do you have names from lists to know that they are seniors and then make those cold calls?
Thanks again, for answering the conversation with the people you are in front of as to not being an insurance agent? What is the term you use? Medicare Consultant, etc?

Back