Medicare/Supplement/Medicaide

You need to call the company the policy is with and see what they say about reinstating it. I think most companies have a provision to prevent accidental policy lapse. John Hancock for instance may reinstate a policy within 5 months of termination if the policy lapsed because you didn't pay your premiums due to physical or cognitive impairment.

Thanks again. I am calling the company Monday to see if they will reinstate being that she had a stroke and her daughter canceled the policy in December 2014 only 2 months ago. I think that a stroke would qualify as a cognitive inpairment. Also, I found out that Bankers is a qualified plan that meets the long term care asset protection up to the amount of benefit paid. Thanks again for all of your help.

----------

Medicare only pays for skilled care. I don't believe someone in hospice would be getting anything other than custodial care.

I honestly do not know if it is skilled or custodial care but I will find out.

All I know is life insurance, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but can't she assign ownership of the life policy to a relative so it doesn't get cancelled in the medicaid spend down?

Or is too late for that?

All I know is life insurance, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but can't she assign ownership of the life policy to a relative so it doesn't get cancelled in the medicaid spend down?

Or is too late for that?

I believe there is a five year look back which is why estate planning is important. If you get everything set up in a trust and/or ownership of assets in well ahead of time, if something does happen, the assets stay where you wanted them.

How to Deal With Medicaid's Five-Year Look-Back Period? | ElderLawAnswers

If she is receiving hospice care now (which sounds like she is), she can be removed from hospice care and revert back to Medicare for coverage.

First thing I would do is find out why she is on hospice. Hospice has to have one primary diagnosis for receiving hospice care. All other illnesses would be considered a comorbidity and can be treated with more traditional (ie dialysis) curative treatments. The main diagnosis is usually treated under palliative care and no or very little aggressive treatments are performed.

If the skilled facility is saying only 18 days, that means she only has 18 Medicare Part A skilled days left of billing. Medicare only allows 100 days, which means she as used 82 of them and there has not been a 60 day break to reset the benefit period.

The other question of this is, if she moves home, what does that look like. She obviously needs round the clock or close to that in care, can that be done at home?

Back