Medicare Sales Price Multiple?

MW Agent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a friend looking to sell a block of Medicare clients to another agent. He wants to retire and get out completely, but also wants to make sure his clients are taken care of. Mostly MA-PD.

What type of multiple do these books of businesses typically sell for? Block of business is slightly under $100K in commissions annually.

I’ve studied this a lot . It depends on a lot of factors . What % of the book is dsnp/lis ? Age of your clients . You already said almost all mapd . Anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 is the avg reading tons on this

I have a friend looking to sell a block of Medicare clients to another agent. He wants to retire and get out completely, but also wants to make sure his clients are taken care of. Mostly MA-PD.

What type of multiple do these books of businesses typically sell for? Block of business is slightly under $100K in commissions annually.
When valuing a Medicare business, it varies based on the type of business being sold. For instance, a Medicare supplement book of business might be valued at around 1X , taking into account the age of the policies, which typically pay for six years. For a PDP or ACA business, it could be valued at maximum 1X, and for a Medicare Advantage plan, it might be valued at 2X However, for existing agents, we might offer a bit more, say 3X due to our longstanding relationship with them. Additionally, factors such as payment terms—whether upfront or over time—also play a significant role in determining the business's value.

How die
When valuing a Medicare business, it varies based on the type of business being sold. For instance, a Medicare supplement book of business might be valued at around 1X , taking into account the age of the policies, which typically pay for six years. For a PDP or ACA business, it could be valued at maximum 1X, and for a Medicare Advantage plan, it might be valued at 2X However, for existing agents, we might offer a bit more, say 3X due to our longstanding relationship with them. Additionally, factors such as payment terms—whether upfront or over time—also play a significant role in determining the business's value.

How does over time work ? Almost all the people I see wanting to sell online have books between 50-400 people . I’ve yet to see anyone selling a book of 1000-1500 people . Let’s say 1000 book which is $300 k a yr of residuals . So 2.5 times is $750 k . Will anyone stroke a check for $750 k ? I’m suspecting most will want to pay over 5 yrs .

How die

How does over time work ? Almost all the people I see wanting to sell online have books between 50-400 people . I’ve yet to see anyone selling a book of 1000-1500 people . Let’s say 1000 book which is $300 k a yr of residuals . So 2.5 times is $750 k . Will anyone stroke a check for $750 k ? I’m suspecting most will want to pay over 5 yrs .
Absolutely, spreading out payments over time can be a strategic move, especially considering tax implications. In our experience purchasing businesses with over 700 clients, we've found creative ways to approach acquiring books of business. Personally, I prioritize accessibility to clients, ensuring I can reach them within an hour if needed. As for larger books of clients, like the 1000-client example, paying over time can indeed be more practical, considering the significant investment involved. It's not just about writing a check; it's about structuring a deal that works for both parties and ensures a smooth transition for the clients.

Back